Thread: Intel i7 2600k reports 90 degree temperature, help

Intel i7 2600k reports 90 degree temperature, help

My system is having Intel i7 2600k processor and I don’t have any problem in using my system for my day to day task and gaming. The problem arises when I use my video editing and rendering program. The system stay’s between 25 degree - 35 degree normally but as soon as I start using video editing and rendering program the cpu usage jumps to 100 percent and temperature rises to 90 degree, I don’t think that’s normal. I have some of my friends using same configuration system and their temperature stays below 75 degree even after using same video editing and rendering programs. I have to use those programs daily because of my profession so is there anything I can do for controlling the temps??

sad Re: Intel i7 2600k reports 90 degree temperature, help

is it a custom built?
    make sure your heat sink is fixed correctly and has thermal paste applied correctly!

Re: Intel i7 2600k reports 90 degree temperature, help

The cpu usage can jump high while doing some video editing or either by some rendering program but the temperature should not go above 75 degree. That’s not safe, I wanted to know if you have tried installing the latest bios for your system?? If not then give it a try and see if you are getting any help from it. Other than this you should also check out the heat sink of the cpu and make sure that it has been installed properly and is working fine. If possible try using video editing and rendering program alone and see if there is any change in the cpu usage. Just check these things out and let me know what you get so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing.

I have installed the latest bios for the board, it was the first thing I had tried after facing the issue but that’s not making any difference. I have checked out the heat sink and it is appearing to be installed fine, I have installed it again to be at the safer side. It appears to be working fine but I don’t know why is it not able to control the temperature of the cpu. I could have checked out the cpu in some other machine but unfortunately I am not having any other system at my place. I don’t know what the issue all about is, can there be some issue with the Intel i7 2600k?? I am using the system with the case open but that’s not making much difference. Is there anything else that I can check out further??? Help regarding this will be appreciative.

ThumbsUp Re: Intel i7 2600k reports 90 degree temperature, help

you might want 2 use some good thermal paste for that kind of CPU
    make sure your applying the correct quantity of thermal paste
    sometimes the heat sinks come with a plastic coating so that the part which is in contact with d CPU does not get spoilt make sure there is no such coating

How long you have been using the processor?? Did it come with thermal paste applied?? There are possibilities that it might have dried up and it’s time to reapply it. So just inspect the processor and if you find thermal paste to be dried up then get one from market and apply it. There are a no of videos out on youtube that will guide you for applying thermal paste to processor, so just refer to then for carrying out that task. If the temperature is getting controlled after applying the paste then you can keep doing that timely. If that does not make any difference in your case then you will have to check out the processor in some other machine and inspect the response you are getting there. If it does the same there as well then there might be something wrong with it and you will have to get it checked.

ThumbsUp Re: Intel i7 2600k reports 90 degree temperature, help

go for artic silver
    isn't your PC suppose to shut down at that temp
    another possibility is your motherboards sensors could be spoilt

I wanted to know if you are overclocking the processor? If yes then I will like to inform you that Intel does not support over-clocking above turbo boost speed. So if you are doing overclocking then stop doing that and check out if that’s lowering the temp and usage. Reapplying thermal paste is a good idea in such conditions but it does not work all the time.

Ok, I will try out applying thermal paste by tomorrow and will let you know if that makes any difference. Till then if there is anything else that I need to check out or anything that I can try out the let me know, my system specs are as followed:
    • Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
    • Intel i7 2600k
    • 16g corsairs 1600 ram (4 x 4 DDR3-SDRAM)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    • 4 fans in case