Thread: MSI P7N Platinum motherboard does not boot

MSI P7N Platinum motherboard does not boot

As my old motherboard turned out faulty I have bought a new MSI P7N Platinum motherboard but after installing the same I don’t know why it is not booting. I have checked out all the components and have reseated all of them as well but it is just not booting and posting anything on the screen. When I am powering it I can hear the fans spinning but I am not getting anything on the screen. Does that mean the board is faulty??

Re: MSI P7N Platinum motherboard does not boot

Its possible but there are chances where something might be wrong with the components that you are using on the board. Since you have mentioned that you have checked out all the connections,you can precede testing out ram,cpu and video card. If you are having more than one ram then you can try using one ram at a time and check out if there is something wrong with any of the ram that is not allowing the board to boot. If you are getting the same response for all rams then you can test them out In some other working machine for a cross check. If they are working fine in other machine then you need to check out the cpu. You can use the cpu in other working machine and find out if there is anything wrong with it. If your board is having an integrated graphic card then you can try booting the system without graphic card as well. I also wanted to know if you are able to hear any beep sound while trying to boot the system?? If yes then hear it properly and let me know if the beep is in some sequence. The beep codes can help in finding out the faulty component. Just check out these things and let me know what you find so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you with further possible solutions.

Yes you should check out the ram and cpu in some other working machine, there are possibilities that there might be something wrong with them rather than the board itself. You can do vice versa as well, I mean if the cpu and ram are working with some other system and not yours having MSI P7N Platinum motherboard then you can try using some other ram and cpu with the new board to narrow down the cause of the issue. I have come across some people who were facing similar issue and in their case cpu was the culprit. The same cpu was working fine in other machine and It was not working with their new boards, later when they tested out their ne motherboard with other working cpu then it started booting up fine. Actually the cpu was not compatible with the board they had bought. So make sure that you are not having the same case. If the board is not booting up with other working ram and cpu then the board might be faulty and you will have to get it checked.

I have now tested out the ram, cpu as well as the video card in other machine and they are working fine there. I have also cross checked other working ram, cpu and video card with the new board but I am getting the same response from it. I think I have bought a faulty motherboard. Is there anything else that I can check out before sending back the board to the place from where I have bought it??

Even I think that there is something wrong with the board but before sending it back for replacement you can try clearing the cmos and check out if that’s helping. I am not sure if that will make any difference but you can definitely give it a try. Since the board is not posting and booting in your case you can clear the cmos by taking out the battery from it. You just have to turn off the system, unplug the power cord, take out the battery and wait for some seconds. After that reseat the battery, plug the power cord and turn on the system and see if it is booting up fine. If it does not then the board is surely faulty.

You can very well try out the solutions that have been mentioned above but if they are not making any difference in your case then you can check out the power supply as well. I mean there can be something wrong with the power supply as well and if it is so then the system won’t boot. So if you are having some other efficient power supply around you then you can test it with your board.

So now I have tried clearing the cmos in the way you have mentioned and have tested out the psu as well. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the psu as it is working out fine with other machine. I have checked out the regarding the compatibility of the ram and cpu and they are appearing to be compatible. Even after trying out all these possible solution I have not got any response from it, there is surely something wrong with the board. I have contacted the store from where I have bought this board and have addressed him the solution that I have tried so far, he just said to bring the board back to him, he will check it out and let me know. I have come across faulty boards back to back and I am just disappointed with this, I really did not expected to face such issues with a new MSI board.

There are other things that you can check out further:

Flashing the bios- you can download the latest bios for your board, copy it to a floppy and name it as AMIBOOT.ROM. After that just insert the floppy drive and press ctrl-home while powering on and see if you are getting any response.

Checking out graphics card adapter- Check out the graphics card adapter and see if there is anything wrong with it, you can probably try using some other graphics card adapter to find out if the current graphics card adapter is faulty. If you are using dvi to vga adapter then try using dvi/dvi adapter and see if that’s helps.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter