Thread: Which is better to upgrade CPU or GPU ?

Which is better to upgrade CPU or GPU ?

If one needs to upgrade his old system for gaming purpose then what should he buy. A new cpu or a better graphics card. I am looking for more appropriate answer for this. I am not able to understand that what will be better on the basis of future options.

Re: Which is better to upgrade CPU or GPU ?

If you upgrade a cpu then you might also need to buy a new motherboard. That is the only trouble here in buying a new processor. For example for better performance you had planned to purchase Intel Core i5. For that you will need to buy a suitable motherboard or else your system will not work. So here you expenses increases. As you are aware that there are more high end games releasing in coming months. For that you will need both. I cannot only say that just by updating the cpu your job is done. You have to get a better graphic card to meet the requirement of game. Many games are equipped with 3d support, shader technology, etc which does not work on regular cards. Now there is a long list of processors here. But for gaming I can only two cpu. The first Intel Core i7 series family and the second one is Intel Core i5 series family. You can choose any cpu in that series. And this cpu does not work any motherboard. There are special series for this which are responsible to give you the best performance.

It depends on your need and system. If you had a nice system then going for gpu is fine. Processors do not change so frequently. But gpus comes with more newer technology support and video ram.

It is right that it depends on the system. If you are having a Core 2 Duo system then you can upgrade your gpu to get better graphics. And if you are on a Dual Core system then you must upgrade your cpu to Intel Core i3 to get standard performance. It is not necessary for everyone to add a new gpu. Some games also gives standard output on regular hardware. By default according to me every system must have minimum 512mb of video memory. That makes your system performance works smoother. This also fulfills the operating system requirement. GPU upgrade is only essential if you are going for multi-monitor support and more high end games. That makes the system slower due to access load on it.

I recommend always to go for a gpu upgrade. CPU can be upgrade after a long time usage. Games mostly need video memory to perform well. They do not really rely on cpu for higher processing.

I think there should be a proper combination of cpu and gpu. GPU are needed when you play more high end games or else any regular 256 or 512 gpus is enough to play regular games. I will too recommend to go for a gpu instead of cpu. Because some cpu like Intel Core i Series entirely new motherboard. This is because of their chipset.