Thread: MSI 990FXA-GD80 won’t start and stops at debug 99

MSI 990FXA-GD80 won’t start and stops at debug 99

I have a MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard with me and I planned to make a computer with two RAMs of 8 GB that of Kingston, PSU of XFX PRO 1200W and other peripherals that will be available at best price in market. The main objective of my building a computer for myself is to make it last long without having to replace any part of it. I have connected all the parts and I have tested its SSD and graphic card, all are running fine with LEDs of the Graphic card blinking properly. When I am running the diagnostics for the RAM to see if they are running properly, it generates a series of numbers which I suppose must be some technical terms. The numbers are FF, 19, FF, 19, 36, 4F, 60, 78, 79, 96, 62 and 99. After the number 99 appears, the blinking cursor stops at its place for some five to ten seconds and then the computer shuts down. There is no sound, no beeps that RAMs usually do when in trouble. It just goes off and that’s it. The Kingston RAMs which I am using is of frequency 1600 MHz and according to the manual of MSI 990FXA-GD80, they should work properly. Also these diagnostic results are in a numerical form which I can’t understand. Can someone tell me what the problem can be with my motherboard and the RAM?

Re: MSI 990FXA-GD80 won’t start and stops at debug 99

I think the issue that you have described in your question points to the problem with the processor. The first thing I’ll suggest you is that you should check the connection of the processor with the motherboard. If they are right, then there is a compatibility issue either between processor and the motherboard or processor and RAM. It would be better if you can get a RAMs that are of lower frequency and memory than the current Kingston ones. Run the diagnostics on them with them attached in the motherboard. If they run error free, then you should change to the new Kingston 8 GB RAMs. The numbers that you get when you are running the diagnostics show the checkpoints at which some activity has taken place. They are known as POST/System initialization checkpoints which are needed for cycling of system through these huge numbers of checkpoints. As I said before, you need to run the diagnostic for RAM with older RAM sticks. If still the problem persists, then you should ask the manufacturer to have the BIOS of your motherboard updated. I think this will help you for sure.