Thread: MSI Z68A-GD65 won’t boot after updating Bios to 7681vP1

MSI Z68A-GD65 won’t boot after updating Bios to 7681vP1

My system is having MSI Z68A-GD65 and since updating its bios to 7681vP1 the system is not booting. I don’t think I have missed out anything and I have updated the bios properly but I don’t know what went wrong with it. Is there anything I can try out now?? I am just running out of idea and I want to get the system working as soon as possible. Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: MSI Z68A-GD65 won’t boot after updating Bios to 7681vP1

I am not very sure if this will work or not but if you want then you can try clearing the cmos and see if it is helping you out or not. Since the system is not booting the best method for clearing the cmos will be by taking out the battery from the board. Just turn of the system unplug the power cord, take out the battery. After waiting for some seconds put the battery back, plug the power cord, restart the system and see if it is booting up fine. I have found some people mentioning that clearing the cmos in similar case has helped them out but I am not sure about it as I have not tried it myself. If that does not help then there are possibilities that your board might have got bricked. I also wanted to know which method have you used for updating the bios?? Was it DOS USB method or windows flashing method? I have found people mostly having such issues with windows flashing method so if you have done the same I don’t think you will be able to fix it out yourself if clearing cmos does not help. You are not allowed to rollback once updating the bios and so but if you want then you can try reflashing the bios. Anyways just try out what I have suggested and post back the result that you get so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you with as well.

After your suggestion I have tried clearing the cmos but it is not making any difference. As far as the flashing method is concerned unfortunately I had tried out windows flashing method. Since you have mentioned people mostly face issue with windows flashing method, I just wanted to know why is it like that? Is there any reason behind the same?? Which is the best flashing method then? You have also mentioned something about reflashing bios, is it about rollbacking or something. I am not familiar with it so can you let me know about the same In detail??

I don’t know if there is any specific reason behind people having issues after updating their bios by windows flashing method but as far as a safe flashing is concerned, DOS USB method is the safest. I know it has not been return anywhere that window flashing method is not a safe method and so but I personally don’t recommend it as I have come across people having such issues after using it. In reflashing you just can flash the bios with the same 7681vP1 again or with the updated version available at the manufacturer side. For that you need to have the system booting, I mean if it is booting but not loading windows after that, then you can try out reflashing method but if it is not booting at all or posting to the screen then you won’t be able to fix it out and you will have to contact the manufacturer. They might reflash it with some means if possible or will replace the bios chip after which you should not have any such issues. If you want to know about the reflashing method then I will like to inform you that it can be done by the below two methods after downloading the bios update executable from the manufacturer website.
    Reflashing BIOS Using a Floppy Disk:
    • First insert a blank floppy disk into some other computers floppy drive and format it, after that copy the BIOS update executable on the same. Once you are ready with it then just insert the same in to the targeted system and boot to the floppy drive.
    • After booting just run the BIOS update executable, actually you don’t have to interact with the process and it should reflash BIOS automatically.
    • Once it is reflashed you can take out the floppy reboot the system and check out if it is booting properly or not.

Reflashing BIOS with a Bootable CD:
    • Here you just have to download the bootable BIOS update ISO file from manufacturer website and burn it to a CD using some CD burning program. When you are ready with the cd then just boot the system from this cd and then allow the BIOS update to proceed.
    • I will also like to inform you that some manufacturers don’t provide ISO file rather they provide BIOS update executable file. In that case you will have to create a bootable CD image with that file. For creating a bootable CD you can use CD burning program and just add the BIOS update file to the image which will be created. After creating bootable CD you can boot from it and Run the executable file.