Thread: Error code B4 with MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo

Error code B4 with MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo

My system is having MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo, actually I have bought this new motherboard as my previous board had turned out faulty. The problem that I am facing with the same is that when any storage device is attached to the USB 2.0 ports then the system hangs at post and gives me a b4 code. When I am not having anything attached to the usb ports then the system hangs generally as well. The system starts fine for the first boot but it does not boot properly after that. I am not able to make out if this issue is with the motherboard or usb?? Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me solving it out as well?

Re: Error code B4 with MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo

I that case I just wanted to know that have you tried updating the bios? If not then try out the same and see if it is helping. You should also check out for Legacy USB support in the BIOS and make sure if it is enabled. While checking for this issue I have found one having simialr issue but later he was able to sort it out by enabling Legacy USB support. If you are not able to find out Legacy USB support then check out for similar setting. If these solutions are not making any difference in your case then you will have to test it out with other ram and psu. Just check out these things and post back what you find so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing. Best of luck.

I have tried updating the bios and I have made sure that I am updating to the latest but it is not making any difference in my case. After your suggestion I have tested out the board with other ram and psu, when I had just replaced the ram then I was getting the same response. Later when I replaced the psu then I found that the system was booting but after some time I was getting code 55. I am quite sure that there is nothing wrong with the psu and the ram as I have taken them out from a working machine and they were just working fine there. Is there anything else that I need to check out or anything solution that I can try out further?? I think that there is something wrong with the board but I am not sure about that as the board is just very new.

There are possibilities that there might be something wrong with the board but I will suggest you to try clearing the cmos and see if you are having any luck with it. I also wanted to know that which connection you are using for the screen I mean is it HDMI or a standard VGA connection? I am not very sure if that will make any difference but you can try changing it. I mean if you are using HDMI then use standard VGA connection and vice versa. If you are still not able to track out the cause of the issue with all these then you will have to proceed further and check out the processor. I don’t think there is anything else that you can try out.

So now I have tried out clearing the cmos as well but unfortunately it did not helped. I was using a standard VGA connection but now I have tested out the connection with HDMI and I am still out of luck. I am currently using i7 2600 CPU and I’ve tried using i5 cpu and even that did not made any difference. I have already got the board after a week and if I will send it for rma then I will have to wait more. I really did not expected such issues with the new board, it appears as if I am having hard time with boards. Previously there was something wrong with the ram slot because of which I had to get it replaced and now I don’t even know what’s wrong with the new board. I have kept the replacement as my last option. Till then if you are aware of any further trouble shooting then please share it here it will be highly appreciated.

As I have said I don’t think there is anything else that you can try out further. I mean you have tried replacing ram, psu, processor from a working machine. You have also tried out changing the connection to narrow down the cause of the issue. If there things are not making any difference in your case then there is surely something serious with the board and you should better get it checked. I know that getting and replacement might take time but as far as I am aware that’s the only option you are left with.