Thread: msi p45 platinum motherboard will not turn on

msi p45 platinum motherboard will not turn on

hello

I will try to explain this as best I can.

My mother shut down on me last week, and it will not trun on.
    I am getting power to the board because the red led is glowing.when I press the power supply button on the back of the unit.when I press the button on the motherboard, what I do see when I turn it on, all the leds on the board will flash on quick
    also the led in the power supply fan will flash and the fans will just kick and nothing.there is an 8 pin power connecter on the power supply and it is connected to the board. when i pull it off and press the button on the mother board the unit will work,but no power to the cpu. I tried another cpu and same problem.

dose anyone have an answer for this problem.

Thank you

DAN

Re: msi p45 platinum motherboard will not turn on

What is your full computer specifications? It seems like the power supply that you are using is not capable enough to give power to the hardware components. Have you tried any other power supply and checked if the pc is booting up. First rule out this troubleshooting and then we will come to some conclusion whether its a PSU fault or the mobo itself.

hello

I have a Msi mother board p45 platinum with and 850 watt power supply

8gigs of ram 500 gb hard drive and all that good stuff.
    ThE unit ran good for 4 years the cpu is a intel core 2 quad 2.66

if you read my thread correctly it states that the unit has power because of` the red led on the board.if you find a picture of the board you will see that it uses the full 8 pins to power the cpu.but when i remove the cable that power the cpu it will power the unit on all fans and light work and also the video card work but not display on the screen because on the cable to the cpu is removed. but if I reconnect it it will only flash the leds on the board and kick the power supply and thats all.

Well, can you go into the bios and check the readings of the PSU, see if anything related to the readings of 3.3V or 12V is below the actual reading cause if it is then it is a sure shot PSU issue. If these readings are proper then you can need to troubleshoot the cpu, clean any dust if it is there or apply some thermal paste.

I can not go into the bios because the unit will not turn on.like I sead the unit gets power because of the red led that on but when you push the on the mother board the unit just flashes all the leds and also the power supply just kicks and then nothing happens.it only starts to work if the power to the cpu cable is not connected.

Can you reach to the reset CMOS button in the I/O shield on the motherboard, check if it is not out all the way? If it is then you need to have it pressed down. Other than that, I have a strong feeling that the PSU is faulty here, because when you disconnect the cpu, then motherboard and every fan start up, but when the cpu is connected then it wont, because the psu is not able to give enough power to the board, can you verify it?

hello I will try another power supply of the same type if i can find one out there or is it possible to test the power supply with a power supply tester.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannydi View Post
    hello I will try another power supply of the same type if i can find one out there or is it possible to test the power supply with a power supply tester.
    There are Power Supply Tester available in the market that can be used to test PSU automatically, or if you want to do a manual test on the PSU then you can use a multimeter. This 2 methods are normally very effective for testing the power supply but it is upto you to decide which of this method you choose from.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter