Thread: Asus Maximus IV Z-Gene Ethernet Port won’t work at all

Asus Maximus IV Z-Gene Ethernet Port won’t work at all

I have recently bought ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z Motherboard for my system as the previous board had turned out faulty. The problem that I am having with it is that the Ethernet Port is not working at all. I mean when I am trying to access internet then it says to connect Ethernet cable.

I have tried using other Ethernet cables but they are not appearing to be making any difference.I am quite sure that they are working as i have tested them out on other computers.Is there any way by which I can get it working? Any suggestions?

Re: Asus Maximus IV Z-Gene Ethernet Port won’t work at all

There are possibilities that the port on the board might be faulty and so. I just wanted to know that have you inspected the port, if not then check it out and let me know what you get. Other than these check out in the Device Manager and see if you are able to find Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection under the Network Adapters.

If you are able to see that then just check if it is having yellow exclamation mark and so, if it is having an yellow exclamation then driver might have not been installed and you will have to install it. So just right click on Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection and try updating it using the driver cd that you might have got with the motherboard. Since you won’t be able to update it using windows update as you are not able to access the internet. You will have to insert the disc,right click on the driver and select “update from driver cd" option.

When the installation process gets completed, just reboot the system to effect the changes and check out if you are able to connect to the internet after that.

I have inspected the port and have found that it is lighting up and the LEDs are flashing as well. Anyways I have checked out under the Network Adapters in Device Manager and have found “Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection” as you have mentioned but it is not having any yellow exclamation mark that you are talking about. I am sure that my brother had installed all the drivers and it is appearing to be installed as well.

I have tried installing it again using the driver cd but it is not making any difference. The windows still keep saying me to connect Ethernet cable when I am trying to access internet. I don’t know why it is saying like that even when the required network adapter is installed. I don’t think that I am missing out anything. What do you think might be the possible cause of this issue?

Your issue seems to be weird now, can you just go in to the BIOS and see if Intel LAN is enabled under Unboard devices. If not then enable the same and see if it is taking any effect. If it is not helping after enabling the Intel LAN from bios then you can try making a fresh installation of the required driver. You just have to right click on Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network and select the uninstall option, after uninstalling it reinstall the driver using the cd.

If at all that’s not working then you will have to get the latest driver for the same. For that you will have to get the latest LAN driver from the motherboard support page using other system having an internet connection as it is not working in your case. So just download the latest LAN driver on to an usb, after that connect the same to your system and follow the same procedure of updating the driver and see if you are getting luck.

If you are still not having any luck with these solutions then I will suggest you to better contact the manufacturer or the place from where you have bought the board and address them the issue you are facing along with the solutions that you have tried and check out what they have to say about it. As I have said there are possibilities that there might be some issue with the port. Just check it out and post back the result that you get.

So now I went in to the BIOS and have disabled and enabled the Intel LAN again. Actually it was enabled already, I have tried out making a fresh installation of the driver as you have suggested and have done the same several times bit it is just not taking any effect and I am still having the same issue. I have also followed your suggestion of getting the latest lan driver and installing it in my machine but I did not had any luck with that as well. I am just running out of ideas know, as you have said that the port might be faulty I wanted to know if it would have been faulty then would it get recognized in the device manager?? I don’t think it would have but I am not so sure. I don’t think that there is something wrong with the port while inspecting it normally. I also wanted to share that I have got the board after waiting for 2 weeks and if I will send it for ram then I will have to wait for some more days and I am not willing to do that for now. I have kept that as my last options, since I am not suspecting any hardware fault I think that there is something wrong with the software side, I mean the drivers and all but I am not able to track out the actual cause of this issue. Is there anything else that I need to check out or any workaround that I can try out further for fixing this?? Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

See if there might have been some issue with the driver then reinstalling them or updating them should have solved out the issue. You have already tried out several times, since it is not taking any effect in your case I think that there is something wrong with the hardware site. Can you let me which Ethernet cable you are using?? I have just made a research and have found some people mentioning that they were having similar issue in their case but it was solved later after using “Cat 6 Ethernet cable’.

So are you using the same or a different one, if you are not using Cat 6 Ethernet cable then I will suggest you to try using the same and see if it is making any difference in your case or not. If not then there is surely something wrong with the port and you will have to send it for rma or repair. I don’t think that there is any other solution that you can try out further. Best of luck.

I have not tried out “Cat 6 Ethernet cable’ yet and currently I am not having the same but I will surely try that out and will let you know if it is helping. I also wanted to share that my friends have suggested me to clear the cmos and update bios, so I just wanted to know if they make any effect?

Can they be related to the lan issue that I am having?? Will it be a good idea if I reinstall the os itself?? I am not very sure about these things so just needed your advice on the same. I also wanted to know that are these Cat 6 Ethernet cable different or what? Will it be available in the local hardware stores??

As far as the “Cat 6 Ethernet cable’ they are different as per their standards and they should be available in the local hardware stores. If you want then you can try updating the bios actually such issues can occur if you might have made any adjustments in your BIOS. As you have installed the board recently I don’t think you might have made any adjustment but you can try resetting the bios to safe defaults. In order to reset bios to safe default you have to press f5 for entering the bios and after that press F10 and enter. If that’s not helping then you can flash the bios using a usb. If you are not aware of that process the refer to the below thread for the same.
    How to Flash BIOS with Flash Drives?

Make sure that you are clearing the cmos before updating the bios. For clearing the bios you just have to turn off the system, unplug the power cord, take out the battery from the motherboard and wait for a couple of minute and then put it back and restart the system. I have been saying that your issue is appearing to be due to some hardware fault but you have doubt then you can very well try out reinstalling windows and check out if you are actually having any luck with it. Do let me know if you find get success in fixing this issue without sending the board for rma.