Thread: FX-8120 on full load slows down due to overheating on Asrock 970 Extreme3

FX-8120 on full load slows down due to overheating on Asrock 970 Extreme3

My motherboard which is from ASrock is seriously suffering from a major issue. I am not quite sure whether it is really a motherboard or something else. After installing FX-8120, it started showing several issues. The system specs are as follows:
    • AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz processor
    • Asrock 970 Extreme3 motherboard
    • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPY cooler.
    • 1 TB Seagate HDD
    • G,skill 4GB (2x2gb) RAM
    • Corsair 1000W PSU.

The problem is whenever the system comes under extreme load, the processor starts to overheat very fast. When system comes to the idle state, the temps will automatically come down and it happens quickly. Even after having such good CPU cooler, I don’t know how it is happening. The temps reach to almost 60C and then it comes down. Should I need to change something for CPU to correct this issue? I didn’t enable power saving featured but still it is getting to overheat very quickly.

Re: FX-8120 on full load slows down due to overheating on Asrock 970 Extreme3

You are having good configuration. There is no problem with your motherboard since it is build for AMD FX series processors. It is compatible. It looks the problem with your newly installed CPU cooler. It is not a stock CPU cooler. You have installed it later, right. So you could be put too much thermal past over it. Thermal paste has an excellent heat transfer and it will not hold any heat. If you have applied too much, the surface will not able to transfer heat to the cooler and the cooler will not able to cool it properly. So you have to remove everything and installed it once again properly. Make sure that this time you are applying thermal post as much as it needed. Then put the CPU cooler. Ensure that it is making a good contact over the motherboard.

I think that the current CPU cooler is not enough to cool your FX-8120. You have to get a suitable one. I use XSPC 750 RS240 water cooler and my processor never gone above 34c even during the full load or prime 95 test. I would recommend this unit if you are interesting in watercooling setup. I know some stock cooler and other cheap coolers will not able cool down the processor, when system clock speed hits its maximum point. The temps will quickly reach 60c within few second or minutes. I am running the processor at 4ghz. I have overclocked the processor using the multiplier only with stock voltage.

AMD processor have unique feature called Cool and Quiet. When it is enabled, it will change the multiplier automatically. You can disable this in BIOS. When this is enabled and system comes to full load, the BIOS will automatically overclock the processor and due to the temps also starts to increase very quickly. The changing multiplier is normal but due the behavior of Windows, it sometimes crosses the limit. As you know there are multiple processes or apps running in the background which occasionally needs processing power. The OS will distribute the processor power depending on the requirements in order to complete the process very quickly. Some higher priority processes might request more processing power even if a sufficient amount CPU resource available. Due to this, the processor will under load due to lots of request waiting for approval in a queue. So it’s get overheat quickly. Once all the processes get completed, the CPU resources will be freed. Some games will also push the CPU to full load in order to run properly.

The 60C temps does not seems to be a huge risk for a processor. You can run the AMD processor till 70C but do not let it go over that. But it is always recommended to keep the temps below 60C in order to get better lift out of CPU. If it is overheating excessively, you have to disable the automatic throttling. It can be achieved by APM. You will this setting in BIOS. Also turn of the Turbo Core in AOD