Thread: SiS VGA Bios patch failure on L4S5MG3 board

SiS VGA Bios patch failure on L4S5MG3 board

There is a old pc at my office. It has some ECS L4S5MG3 motherboard. Now this system is kept at the corner and is only used for basic purpose. I had recently connected a widescreen monitor on that to run some intro videos. But the pc does not supports widescreen lcd. I am looking for some bios patch here which can make this pc to recognizes my widescreen lcd. I had tried to find new driers also, but the support provided on the same is very old and there is no options to get new upgrades. This system can be kept at a corner for video purpose only and that looks more than enough. Can anyone help me to find bios update for this. I am using Windows xp on this. I need configuration settings for this system to run widescreen lcd. Thanks in advance.

Re: SiS VGA Bios patch failure on L4S5MG3 board

The reason that old pc is not able to detect your lcd is outdated drivers. See if you can manage to get the latest vga driver for this board then there are chances you can use the lcd with mid range resolution. I will advice you to find the vga driver for that and run a update one more time. Connect the LCD and set the best resolution on which the monitor is detected. Patching the bios cant be a good solution. Because if that is done wrongly then you might face a dead board. So first thing if you are still patching the bios find the old bios version and keep it ready with you. Re-flash the bios. Update the most recent vga driver and then try to fix the monitor. If still it is not detected then this the hardware limit. You cannot use that monitor on it. To use it you will have to find a compatible video card for the board. It is also not easy to find the video card for such a old system. Old boards have hardware limit due to which they are not compatible with current devices.

I found a modded bios of this board. I had attached the same to this post. This the bin file which you will need to restore on your motherboard. That can be done via bios utility. Remember that there is no guarantee that this bios will perform nicely. You will need to take care, if this fails try to restore the old version back. The bin file is usually a modded bios patch for ECS L4S5MG3 to support widescreen monitor. If you are flashing the bios first them remember to note down each and every steps for that process. Get a good bios update utility and then check back.

Only bios update will not do. You will need to run the driver update also. Do not forget to find the updated vga drivers for the same. And the last option is to use a video card for that board. As it is a very old board, it is not easy to find compatible video card for it.