Thread: No S/PDIF output on new MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

No S/PDIF output on new MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

I am using a computer with MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard in it. For sound, I am using normal computer speakers which are connected to my computer. Recently, I changed the speakers of my computer and brought a new on which have optical connection. I connected them to my computer and played a song, but no audio came out of them. So I went into the Control Panel to check if any setting regarding the sound of my system had been changed due to change in the speakers. But I found nothing that would affect sound output of my system. I updated the drivers for Realtek Audio manager and also checked the settings in it. The options and the type of output were set to Dolby digital, but also it was not being heard. No option of the sound was set to mute, neither there were any yellow triangles in Device Manager that showed the error. The device manager also showed every device as working properly. The speakers aren’t showing any red light suggesting fault in it.

If I play an media file, then there is movement in the sound bar. This indicates that software is properly generating sound, but it is not being processed to be presented as output on the speakers. I think that problem is with the S/PDIF of the motherboard. I am using my television as monitor for my computer. Is it because the speakers of my television are being accepted as audio device by my computer, but since it cannot find appropriate drivers, it is failing to generate any output?

Re: No S/PDIF output on new MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

Have you checked the options in the Realtek Audio manager properly? Maybe while you were checking it for the first time, you must have mistakenly changed the settings for default device. As you said in your question that you have connected your television to it, maybe it is conflicting among which speaker to give output from. I also recommend that you check the wiring of the speakers plugs as it plays a big role in deciding its working. If you are trying to plug the speakers with optical connections in the back side panels and it is not working, then also try it in the front panels. The architecture and working of both panels are different but I have seen some audio devices working in front panel and not in back or vice versa. Also check whether the Realtek Audio Manager is saving the changes made in settings or not. Many times such kind of problem happens because the program responsible for managing the connections between devices mustn’t be working properly. You can try re-installing Realtek Audio Manager and then try connecting the Speakers with optical connection.

Re: No S/PDIF output on new MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

I was reading specifications of MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard and I realized that it is not compatible with the digital optical connections for the speakers. This motherboard doesn’t support any kind of optical connection, nor Digital neither Analog. But you can use a adapter that can convert normal audio connection into Digital Optical connection. It won’t give you the better quality but enough to use and you can get rid of issue that you are facing.