Thread: Installing high end MSI motherboard on Dell XPS 730X case

Installing high end MSI motherboard on Dell XPS 730X case

Hello friends, I am own the Dell XPS 730x and wanted to changed the motherboard, such that wanted to have MSI motherboard on to it, I do not know that it will be fitting to cabinet or not? But when I am planning to do this then there are couple of more question which occurs in my mind, such that if I try to fit a high end motherboard then FX lights which are there on cabinet will be working as same as it use to work? Are the lights being controlled from motherboard or directly from power supply? But that is not important for time period, but I would like to know that MSI board will be fitting or not? Please do help me out, if you people have some other good suggestion then do suggest about it. Thank you.

Re: Installing high end MSI motherboard on Dell XPS 730X case

I would like to that I was also having the Dell XPS 730x computer and its motherboard was not at working, so due to which I was planning for new motherboard for it. But everyone has suggested using the third party motherboard and which will be fitting on to XPS 730 x cases. So with those suggestions I have gone for MATX motherboard and it has fitted properly on to cabinet. When I have fit the motherboard on to case then it was not properly fitted, such that back slots were not being line up properly which actually it should be. When I was trying to do the wiring then it was very much confusion for me. I have try for FX lights but it was not working for me, even tried out some information about which will be making it work then also there was no perfect help. Even tried to contact dell for that, but they were not able to help me. I think that it is not working as I was not having compatible software for that. I believe that dell have taken the 700 series case and have turned the motherboard mounting bracket around somehow, which might be helpful for you, just tried out.

I would like to share my personal experience with you. I have purchased the Dell 730 cabinet and also purchased ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer motherboard for it along with Intel core i7 980EE. Done with all the required fittings and settings with Dell's H2C cooling system. I do know that Coolermaster V-10 is very much better then Dell's H2C cooling system, which I was thinking it to replace, but that I have purchased 730x cabinet with AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor and Coolermaster V-10. Even did overclocking on both the system and founded that system with Coolermaster is running less than 10 to 20 degrees compare to H2C one.

When you are setting up cabinet then you lose the control of the fans and light but one good thing is that it comes to a default state, such that lights which is there are full intensity white and I believe that fans are running at 30% but they not giving response to the PWM information which is coming from motherboard. One thing which I have founded is that fans which I have set it are running cool and better. For the LED I have done tapping work on to it. If check the system overall then I am very much satisfied with it and I would like to suggest all the 730 or 730x owner do the upgrade of their system.

I have not tried, as I really not like to do modification in branded computers and also I do not know much about the 730x system. I believe that the Dell is using the non-standard connector among the panels which are ahead of the motherboard. If you just check out the below link and in which I think that it might be number 18 one. But that also varies in 730 Cabinet from number 11. You will be not getting the pin assignments for it connection, as Dell have not released, if you search and get it then it is very much good for you. I would also like to tell there is a front panel audio connector, which might be the possibility that it is a custom design or not, whereas there is a front panel connector on the master controls board. I have heard that it is having the theatre light control panel, but when looking at the figures then I was not able to find it, such that which is connecting the motherboard or Master Control Board.

Dell XPS 730/730X System Board Components