Thread: How to check the Motherboard without building a system

How to check the Motherboard without building a system

In my computer store, there are lots of use computer peripherals and equipment. I assume that some of them are working fine in any manner. For that reason I would like to build some backup machines using those used components. But I would like to check the motherboard before build a complete computer. I would like to know whether the motherboard is functional or not. Otherwise it will be waste of time to build a complete computer and then check it. If it is not working, I have to remove or unplug everything and again put back the new motherboard and connect everything again. So is there any way to check motherboard condition without installing CPU.

Re: How to check the Motherboard without building a system

Without processor, you cannot test mobo and it will not do anything. The system will only beep. As far as I know that there is no way you can check the motherboard without installing the processor and CPU, there is no way you can check the motherboard and its functionality. You will need a processor and RAM installed on the motherboard and boot into BIOS to perform all tests you want. I don’t know whether there is special equipment or something available to check it.

It might be possible to check your motherboard only if you have the equipment of a specialized service center. Yes, in order to check the motherboard, you will need specialized equipment from the motherboard service center or lab. You can get these equipments from the manufacturers or any third party seller if they have put them on sale. Otherwise you should build a computer half a way across to check it by yourself.

You can really test the motherboards and CPUs are only in the real PC operation. One can look with a simple structure (power supply, video card, RAM, motherboard, CPU, keyboard), if the pieces are still running in the BIOS and check that as RAM and CPU are properly recognized. But this need not be long nor hot that the motherboard or the CPU to work properly. Even a motherboard with a defective capacitor usually still works and there are often only errors on the fly.
    • Defective motherboard -> CPU intact: in most cases destroys the motherboard, CPU, but that all depends on the error on the motherboard. If a short circuit on the motherboard, which is located on the CPU slot, it can short circuit and destroy the CPU.
    • Defective CPU -> intact motherboard: If the CPU is blown, because it has become too hot and forms a short circuit, so the motherboard usually nothing happens. However, the CPU makes a short circuit can also be the motherboard affected.

Both cases happen very rarely, but can happen. So it's a small risk exists if you test the individual parts.

You must first connect Motherboard to a monitor, keyboard and internal speaker. You also need the motherboard with the right internal memory, video card and processor cooling. Power it and to convert. Then comes the image data and the post you also hear beep tones. This is your feedback from the computer about the state of your motherboard, video card, memory, etc. Could be that the memory is not good in it or that something is burned, etc. It sounds to hear different. See it as a Morse code. Any brand or type of cinema again has its own Morse code. Test first with a bare motherboard without memory and video card. Then with memory> then with the video card.