Thread: Do I need to add more than 8 GB of RAM?

Do I need to add more than 8 GB of RAM?

I am running 4 GB of RAM on my computer but then also my computer runs slow. So I am wondering that if I need to add more RAM into this. I am starting this thread to know that when we need to add more than 8 GB of RAM. As far as I know that for a normal PC user, 4 GB of RAM is enough but I don’t know why it Is behaving like this in my case. If you have some idea regarding this then please let me know that. I will be thankful for all the replies for this. Thank you in advance for reading and replying to mu post.

Re: Do I need to add more than 8 GB of RAM?

This is not just the RAM which affects the processing of the RAM. There are many of the other factors which can affect the processing speed of your computer. So don’t just think that increasing RAM will solve the problem for you. If you are a normal user then having 4 GB of RAM is enough for you. I a m just having 2 GB of RAM in my PC and that is running well without any problem. Make sure that you are not running many applications at the same time in your computer. If it is true then that will consume more memory and processor and that will lead to slow down the processor. Other than this, running more than one security software at the same time can also cause issues like this. So these are the first thing that need to be checked in such issues. I hope that this will solve problem for you.

I would like to tell you that applications as Microsoft Office requires very little RAM, but even that requires a decent amount of RAM. Multimedia applications such as Adobe Photoshop editing also require a lot of RAM. And the more power-hungry programs are graphics intensive video games like Half-Life. More RAM also allows multitasking, which means running multiple programs simultaneously. The more RAM you have, the more easily your programs will run. If you want to know how much RAM I need, read on.

For starters, here are three categories of users for the simplest answer:
    • You use your computer every day, but only to surf the web, use instant messaging, watching videos on sites such as YouTube , a little word processing: 2GB of memory you will be amply sufficient.
    • You are a heavy user, but do not use Photoshop or Virtual Machine (multiple execution environments on a single computer): 3 to 4 GB of memory is a good.
    • You are an experienced user and process a lot of audio-visual (video editing, image processing) at the time, try increasing the maximum memory possible, but remember that you will require a version 64-bit Windows. (A 32-bit version of Windows will allow you to use between 3 and 3.5 GB of memory, even if you install more)

What can more memory do for you?
    • The main advantage of upgrading your memory is a better use of multitasking, especially with software monopolist memory such as Photoshop, Outlook or Firefox.
    • Having lots of memory means you can quickly switch from one to another without having to go through Windows swap file on your hard drive.
    • The memory will not necessarily make your PC faster, but you can do more things at once: if you use an application that uses 200 MB of memory, no matter if you have 2 or 8GB in total, the speed will be the same. If you have 10 of these applications open at once, an increase in memory will be beneficial.

What programs need more than 4GB?

Few programs use less memory for them but some applications really benefit from an update: an image processing such as Photoshop, audio or video montages, Virtual Machines (VMware or VirtualBox). 8GB would allow you to use all these programs simultaneously without slowing down. You can view our scoreboard here.

If you are a normal user then there is no need to have 8 GB of RAM. That is not going to increase the processing speed of your computer. You have not mentioned anything about your system. I think that you are using outdated processor and that is the reason that your computer responds you late. My suggestion to you is to get good processor. It is just going to add more RAM in your computer. This is going to be the best option for you.