Thread: How to update bios of Intel DX79SI Board without CPU

How to update bios of Intel DX79SI Board without CPU

What is the way to update or flash a bios of motherboard without cpu. My got a dead Intel DX79SI Board. It is not working at all and does now shows any signal on the screen. I had a old Intel processor which I had connected to the board. But still there is no output. So I want to know any step which can help me to run a update of bios without adding a processor to it.

Re: How to update bios of Intel DX79SI Board without CPU

The only way to do that is change the bios chip physically. That means you will need to look for a bios chip supplier. Contact him and ask for similar chip that is on your motherboard. Remove it and add the new one. By no means there is other way to flash bios. This is imply replacing the bios chip physically. There are number of manufacturers which provide you the chip on web. You can contact and do the same if you have little bit knowledge about chip level repairing. The best thing is to contact a motherboard service provider which can do this for you in small charge. Updated bios will only work if it is flashed properly and any misconfiguration can cause dead system. So if you are not aware how to do that you must avoid this. You can also try contacting Intel for this purpose. If possible carry the board to nearest Intel service center and repair the same.

A more safer way for you is to do the same when the system boots. Are you sure the board is dead entirely. Just check by putting a different processor. If still this does not work then you have to go with a method called as hot flashing. Under this you have to pull the bios chip from the motherboard and place a different one. This is done by special tools. All you need to check properly is that chip which you are going to remove should be removed properly. It is soldered on the motherboard and edges needs to be removed properly so that you can put the same kind of different chip on it. There are certain site on web which offer you bios recovery option. You can buy a relevant bios chip and solder that ton your board. Take care that you just not waste the chip. If it is done wrongly your board will be dead forever. I will recommend you to go through some videos on the web which shows the complete procedure of hot flashing bios. Also there is a tool called chip puller which work well in Asus boards. I am not sure about Intel. You can give a try for the same. This tool pulls the chip without damaging it. But it cannot place it back. Bios chip manufacturer offer one more option which works when the system boots atleast. Called as EEPROM Flasher you can simply flash the bios chip in case of failure. There is a tips type thread on this forums called as Hot Flash BIOS tips.

I can provide you certain instructions for this process. Unfortunately there is no automated tool for this process. Hot Flashing Bios Instructions :
    • Hot flashing is the process when you remove the bios chip and place another on it. Then you run the bios image on it. So here what you need is to collect proper tool, a compatible bios chip and the bios image to restore file on the chip. To some extent this process is bit complicated and not recommended for novice.
    • First do one thing. Get appropriate tool and remove the dead bios chip properly. Do not spoil the edges nor leave any debris on the bios chip part.
    • Once you are done with that you have to find a compatible chip and place it soldered properly.
    • Get the bios image ready in floppy disc and boot it with the same. Run the bios image file and done.