Thread: What is UniFlash and how it is used?

What is UniFlash and how it is used?

Hello friends. I found that there is one utility as UniFlash which can be used to write new BIOS. I tried to search for more information regarding this but there was no much information for this. Can somebody over here post some more information regarding the UniFlash and how can I use this. I will appreciate all the replies for this over here. There is little information for this on some of the sites but I wanted to confirm this from here so that I can be sure about what I am using. Thank you so much in advance.

Re: What is UniFlash and how it is used?

There are many people who are searching for the same and in short I can explain this like this: “A flash program, used to write a new BIOS on your FLASH ROM Chip”.

UniFlash is a flash program, used to write new BIOS on your FLASH ROM chip. The difference between this program and the others on the network is given by complete free source for work in Pascal. UniFlash is made to be universal, this being useful when you want to optimize your bios in another motherboard. Another thing: this program is primarily intended for experienced users. We do not have the ability to test every routine and chips we do not know, that's the main reason for creating this program. We hope people can help in routine debugging and verification. Using this program may risk the bios of your computer. There is possibility that it might contain viruses and most of the hardware is not tested for compatibility.

Requirements:
    • At least a 386
    • RAM at least 2 times larger than the size of Flash ROM, but less than 2 GB.
    • MS-DOS 4.0 and above
    • Known Flash ROM Chip
    • Chipset-note admitted that they are all based on PCI card or Flasher 8-bit ISA

I would like to tell you that the UniFlash is nothing but the flash utility with the help of which, you can flash many of the boards. UniFlash is designed to be universal. You will find this very useful when you are doing the hot-flashing your BIOS within another BIOS. Other than this, it is also having support for some PCI cards and also having support for the ISA cards. The Uniflash version 1.17 was completed by Pascal Van Leeuwen with Galkowski Adam as already mentioned. It then continued through the Ondrej Zary (Rainbow) who is from Rainbow Software and this is started from the 1.18.

For the people who are using older Boards, it will be simpler for them to make use of the flash program but in this case the new chipsets are also supported. With the Uniflash, you will also get the option for flashing the AMI or Phoenix Bios which is there on the BIOS on the mainboard which is using Award Bios. This is required for the Hotflashing damaged Flashroms with the other mainboards. One thing that you must keep I mind that you have gone through documentation that is Uniflash.doc which is also get downloaded along with the Uniflash program. This must be done before using the Uniflash and this will keep you prevented from any issue while or after flashing.

UniFlash (Universal Flasher) program created by Pascal Van Leeuwen and Galkowski Adam. The (v1.17b) was abandoned in 1998. Almost dead project, but now lives again! UniFlash (for a list uniflash.txt read, also included in the ZIP package) chip set and supports a wide range of Flash ROM. V1.40 has been authorized since UniFlash GNU GPL v2. This program is for advanced users. Misuse of this program (instead of an image file WAV Flash BIOS ROM), flash code or untested hardware (especially) and the error may cause your motherboard not to work. If you do this then you are going to be responsible for this. To make the motherboard work again, you will have flash ROM. ROM programmer make use of the external flash for this purpose. Now you can download UniFlash 1.40.