Thread: Does ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ having support for ECC memory?

Does ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ having support for ECC memory?

as far as I know Gigabyte has not announced that they are providing support for ECC memory. But still let me know if you know anything whether AMD 990FX Chipset are using ECC memory along with an option into BIOS setup? Let me know if you are having any useful information to meet the requirement of mine. I am waiting for the prompt replies of yours. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Does ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ having support for ECC memory?

As far as I know one will be able to make use of ECC memory on this particular motherboard but still I am not sure about the same. ECC memory could be dependent on the processor which you are supposed to using and it can be used as memory controllers. I think it is built with the CPU and it did not seems to be a part of motherboard which you are going to use. Right now I am using AM3 Athlon II X3 455 processor and it is running flawlessly on AM2+ GA-MA790FX-DS5 . BIOS installed is F8I. this particular CPU is running fine with DDR2 ECC memory and It would be nice to see if it is upgraded to DDR3 with AM3+ board. If I am wrong any of points then feel free to correct me.

Looking at the situation I wanted to add something interesting which would be useful to meet the requirement of yours. There are couple of things are needed to have ECC memory on any motherboard.
    First one is hardware design of motherboard and second one is implementation of BIOS code.
    I am sure about the thing that 990FX series are having support for ECC memory hence you will be able to make use of the same. also option will be available in BIOS setup to alter the settings as well. but there is no verification regarding ECC memory on these models and hence it has been not listed in QVL by the manufacturer. Well mostly ECC RAM is used for server, workstation and enterprise market. I am hoping that the information which I have mentioned over here will be useful to get the requirement of mine.

I do agree that Asus 990x chipset motherboard are having support for ECC memory. If you are an Intel user than you should use Xeon for ECC. There are very few ASUS motherboard with having Intel chipset supports ECC. Additionally ECC is acronym of Error-Correcting Code. It will be able to figure at least a single error. One the basis of Hamming code used. If you got BSOD on your system the ECC would be helpful to if there are any kind of software issue occurred on your system. I know it would be quite difficult to find out if BSOD is occurred because of alpha particle. Why it seems to be a happening because of random event. In simple terms BSOD supposed to attract your attention that is something went wrong.

So far my system running fine and stable without overclocking. But still I am looking to use ECC RAM so that it could a chance to run DCS Warthog by using Eagle Dynamics. I wanted to run the same by using high settings and without overclocking as well. I have come to know about that UD5/UD7 of ver rev1.1/rev2.0 are better motherboards. They are having more features into BIOS for eg Load Line Control. But I was not able to get the same from my board. I could not get whether Load Line Control is the feature of both UD5 or UD7 rev1.0 boards with latest version of BIOS or it supposed to have support on later version of motherboard. Does UD5 or UD7 supports for BIOS? Well I am sure that UD5 seems to be an excellent option but if you are not going to consider cost. Let me know which motherboard would you like to purchase?

There is no LLC on Rev 1.0 UD5. Though I was not having any issue if it was not available. I overclocked my 1090T to 4.2GHz and it is working like charm. However voltage control has been handled in different manner on 9 series motherboard. However if you have managed to get it how it supposed to work then you will not have any issue. I was not having stock setting and there was no BSOD at all. Same thing should b applicable with FX processor if you don’t want to overclock you system. This particular board UD 5 is having lots of features if you are having enough amount of money then you should go for it. I am wondering that UD7 would has LLC and it would be available through BIOS update at later on.