Thread: Unable to overclock AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE on Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Unable to overclock AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE on Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

I brought a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 yesterday and also brought an AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE processor. I tried overclocking the processor, but I couldn’t achieve the full performance from it. I used this same processor in my old computer, but when overclocked, it would give me full performance. In Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, when I use an overclocked processor, my system crashes and rebooting it takes more time than normal. I need to underclock it again to make it work normally. Also after overclocking, the values of VCore goes very high. I have updated BIOS in my system to its latest version, but it too doesn’t help. Can someone tell me why it is happening?

Re: Unable to overclock AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE on Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

It is obvious from your question that you are using a 9 series motherboard of Gigabyte. You might be previously using 7 or8 series of Gigabyte motherboard. Let me tell you that overclocking procedure of these motherboards is very different. In 9 series, you have to gradually increase the voltage supply of the motherboard till you find the stable point. Once found, you have to reduce the voltage again till the stability is maintained. To do this, you will need to set the voltage high at the beginning of this process. This will provide good headroom for decreasing voltage when needed. This process of dropping the voltage is called VDrooping. To achieve better result, put your processor on load. Many times, the voltage that you need to increase can be more than you have anticipated. This will help you to unlock more cores than it uses by default.
    If all the cores unlock properly without losing stability then you will be able to overclock the processor easily. This whole process will include many trials, errors and failures but do not fear, you will eventually succeed. Voltage should be applied only when the processor is in idle state and not when under heavy load. Heavy load should only be used to check the stability after increasing voltage. Also run Memtest86+ after specific period of time to check if there are any errors in the system. You can also use Prime95 to achieve stability. Don’t apply too much voltage as it might damage the components on the motherboard. Many manufacturers especially like Gigabyte provide option for overclocking their motherboard, it shouldn’t be overdone. If any damage caused to motherboard or any other component is caused while overclocking, then warranty will be canceled on that product.

I have overclocked an AMD processor on Gigabyte 9 series motherboard. Before you overclock the processor see to it that proper cooling can be provided to the motherboard and the other components. You have to keep the temperature of your components as low as possible. I am using a Noctua NH-D14 air cooler in my CPU which provides a good cooling while overclocking. If you have a good budget, then a water based coolers is recommended. You need to most of the default settings on which your PC works. This will give you a good base line to work upon and will also help you to manually restore your computer if anything goes wrong while overclocking. By overclocking, you will be making major changes to your motherboard. It will not only change performance of itself but also of other components. Note the default settings of CMOS, it will help you while you will be trying to achieve stability in your motherboard while overclocking. Keep a record of all the changes that you make manually as well as settings that automatically get changed. Even a minor change should be noted down as it might cause a great effect. Find maximum and minimum voltage that your components can take as they help in maintaining the stability. If you are taking help from some of your friend then please do not refer to any values that were achieved on his/her system. Most of the values you acquire while overclocking tend to change from system to system. You can refer these values as an guide for approximate values you should get. Keep a look on Ram speed as Ram is the most sensitive part when it comes to overclocking.

To overclock an motherboard of 9 series from Gigabyte, you will have to start from changing settings from MIT section in BIOS. First of all you need to disable the Core Performance Boost item you will find there. This will cause to lock down of CPB Ratio and Turbo CPB items. Now at this point, CPU clock ratio plays an important role. You will need to increase it value slowly. See to it that you don’t increase it too fast or too much above the limit as it can cause some serious complications in your system. The CPU clock ratio will be set to default value of 1090T CPU X16 which will give core speed of 3200 MHz. you can increase its value to 1090T CPU X17, which will increase the core speed to 3400 MHz. Many professional overclockers try to stress out everything, but as it seems your first time in overclocking a 9 series motherboard, I suggest you to avoid stressing every component and every function of motherboard. Once you are satisfied with CPU clock speed at the increased level; you can go back to the BIOS settings and increase it a bit more. Go on increasing and stressing the components and motherboard.

At one point, your PC will fail to boot. At this moment, you will notice that the CMOS will be cleared and the OS will start in BSOD. Now go in the BIOS and change System Voltage Control under MIT settings from auto to manual. Other settings can be set to Auto and now again start increasing the voltage. The PC will start booting into OS. This time increase the voltage by +0.25 V every time. Keep a look on temperatures and don’t let temperature exceed 80 degree Celsius. Once temperature reaches 75 degree Celsius, close down the system and wait till system cools down. On 9 series motherboard of Gigabyte, it is preferable to use EasyTune 6 for getting the details of the temperature of your system. You can achieve at least 1 GHZ of overclock by this method. After getting proper overclock, see to it that temperature doesn’t rise quickly in your computer. You can play heavy game like Crysis 2 on your system to see rise in temperature. If with 10 minutes of playing game, temperature exceeds 60 degree Celsius, then you will need to overclock it again as something must have gone wrong.