Thread: RAM Upgrade on ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard

RAM Upgrade on ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard

Currently my system is using ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard with only 2GB of RAM. Now I would like to add some more RAM to it. I am thinking about directly adding 4GB RAM stick instead of just 2GB again. But I have doubt that if it is possible to use both 2 GB and 4 GB RAM modules on the same motherboard. Any suggestions regarding it?

Re: RAM Upgrade on ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard

It is possible to add 4G RAM stick on your motherboard and your motherboard can support 8 GB of Ram. But installing 4GB RAM alongside 2GB module is not discussed yet and never tried before. You can use only 4 GB x2. I don’t have this motherboard manual but some other manuals says that if you are installing RAM sticks on banks (may contain one or more slots with same color) make sure that you are using the same type and same sized sticks. Different types could not be recognized by the BIOS or by Windows properly. So if your motherboard comes with only one type of Bank, then you should follow this rule.

Upgrading RAM on any motherboard is very easy. You just have to make sure that you are using a compatible RAM for this motherboard. The specs details indicate that it can take PC2-6400/5300 DDR2 ECC /Non ECC 240-Pin DIMM RAM Type. The maximum limit is up to 8GB. Currently you have only 2 Sockets to install RAM. So for maximum performance you should get maximum amount of RAM. The specs described in the official page is as follows:
    • 2 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1066*/800/667 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
    • Dual Channel memory architecture
    • Because of AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU for single DIMM per channel only.

It is true that you just take only supported memory. However there are some motherboards which come with two or more memory Banks. There you will see one pair of RAM slots with one color and another pair with another color. These are divided into primary RAM module and secondary module. In this case you can use one type RAM stick on primary module and another type with different size on secondary module. Here you will not get any kind of problem but in your case I don’t know whether it is possible or not.