Thread: Asrock 870 Extreme 2.0 cannot detect Hard drive at reboot

Asrock 870 Extreme 2.0 cannot detect Hard drive at reboot

The Asrock 870 Extreme 2.0 works somewhat well in my computer but still there is a slight problem. Right now I am using old HDD which is a 300 GB Maxtor 6V300F0 ATA Device. When I first boot up the pc, the system recognize the HDD fine but if I reboot the system it cannot. I have to completely shut down the computer and boot it again to get detected this HDD again. I don’t think that it is a normal problem. Is it an incompatibility between Motherboard and HDD?

Re: Asrock 870 Extreme 2.0 cannot detect Hard drive at reboot

I am not aware about the compatibility issues here but I would rather try reseating, reversing and replacing the SATA cable. Try different power connectors or connections by reseating them. If there are more than one SATA ports on motherboard, try them. Otherwise I think that the drive is aging. Does your BIOS recognize the Drive? I assume that problem is not only with Windows but you should take account the BIOS also.

Quote Originally Posted by Akolekar View Post
    I am not aware about the compatibility issues here but I would rather try reseating, reversing and replacing the SATA cable. Try different power connectors or connections by reseating them. If there are more than one SATA ports on motherboard, try them. Otherwise I think that the drive is aging. Does your BIOS recognize the Drive? I assume that problem is not only with Windows but you should take account the BIOS also.
    I tried to change the slot using a different SATA cable and nothing, still not detected and pausing in the same place where I point out in my previous post. I've also tried to select the LBA mode BIOS as recommended by the manufacturer's website and does not work. Guess the hard drive will be in good condition. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with SATA motherboard where you can check.

See if you have can get a free diagnostic tool somewhere so that you can easily check the HDD for Bad sectors and other issues which might be causing this problem. Basically you can get this tool on your HDD manufacturer's website. I would urge you to find one and see if there a fix. If it is probably unfixable, then I would rather suggest you to back up the data before the drive become completely dead. Since it is a old HDD.

Did you try updating the bios of the controller?

Sometime it will surely solve your problem and help you to detect the hard disk. If you still can not detect the disc, try to modify the BIOS. You might also need a boot disk with the SATA controller drivers. You have to load the drivers from it by pressing F5 or F6 at the beginning of installing windows and before partition. Windows repair options also helps here.

The controller in this model is enabled via jumper on the motherboard. Through this, active both SATA as RAID since cannot be operated separately as I read. It was actually the first thing I looked around to detect the problem

Indicators of a hard drive failure are as follows and you need to be concerned about this:
    • If the hard drive is making strange noises at once, this is a very important sign that something might not agree. With strange noises, I do not mean an increased "racking", which occurs for example when copying data but unusual noise, or perhaps in a different tone than usual
    • Frequently displayed error message indicates that either the hard drive either defective or has been acted out soon. Especially for external hard drives or partitions, in addition, often error messages are displayed.
    • Another sign could be a document that was read fine before and no longer be opened at once, or just be "funny letters" displays. This could be a sign of damage to the hard drive segment, on which the file was originally stored.

If your system does not detect the hard drive you have installed, you have to force it to recognize it, the modern BIOS have a system of automatic recognition of the hard drive, which is responsible for modifying the Setup settings. To do this:
    • Start the computer with the DELETE key down to enter the Setup.
    • Go to the option called IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION and then press Enter.
    • Hard disk values will automatically appear, type the number 2 and press Enter. Repeat this issue with all hard drives you have installed and press the Enter key until you return to the main window.
    • To save the new configuration select SAVE & EXIT SETUP and press the Enter key again. Then press the Y key to save changes and restart the computer.
    • If it still does not recognize the hard disk must manually put the hard drive parameters values, and for that you must enter into BIOS FEATURE SETUP. All information related to your hard drive you will find in the documentation or on its label and is very important values of the cylinders, heads and sectors.

It could be possible that S.M.A.R.T. attributes are out of the threshold. To check this thing you have to make use of a Get a free smart monitor. If my doubt is right, then the HDD should be replaced in any manner but it doesn’t mean that your HDD is completely failed.

It may also happen that for whatever reason (mysteries of computing) bios settings have changed and the order of boot devices is changed in which case you should enter the bios and check the hard drive is configured as the first device Boot

Although a virus of the MBR, the BIOS will detect the existing hard disks, since such detection is physical and is processed before the code in the MBR. Try to do a reset the CMOS, removing the battery for half an hour, and support across the contacts of the same, removed once. After replacing the battery (making sure you have more than 3 volts, which is not exhausted) and load the setup default parameters, and test that system detects the hard drives, and try to boot.

If the disk is not receiving power or receiving an improper power level (12 V), will not turn on and will not run properly. To check whether this is the reason, follow the steps below:
    • With the system off, open the computer case and unplug the hard drive SATA cable. This will prevent command sending "energy savings".
    • Turn on the system. Check the hard drive spins. Touching the side of the unit should feel a slight vibration. If you hear or feel the hard turn, you will get to know that it has power.
    • In some cases it is necessary to remove the disc from the case and check it by yourself. Since the system fans vibrating and making too much noise. it is very difficult to see if the disc rotates when mounted.

sylprose2 Guest

I will suggest you to check you HDD as much as well. Plug you HDD with another Pc and check this with any HDD Diagnostic Tool. There are some free Hard Disk Diagnostic Software, with this you can identify your HDD's problems or conditions:
    a) Seagate Seatools,
    b) Hitachi Drive Fitness Test,
    c) Samsung Hutil,
    d) WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic,
    e) Fujitsu Diagnostic Tool.
    Last edited by sylprose2; 18-04-2012 at 11:08 AM.