• Asrock 990FX extreme 4
    • AMD FX 4100 CPU
    • Radeon 6790 Graphics Card
    • 8 GB DDR3 1600 Memory
    • Western Digital 250 GB Sata 6 Drive
    • Sony DVD Burners
    • Antec 902 V3 case
    • Corsair750 Watt Power Supply

The problem is, the motherboard does not seem to recognize my new 1.44 floppy drive. It was working fine in my older Windows XP computer. I have tried my friend’s one also with different cables but none of them detected with this motherboard. The floppy drives can power up properly as I can see power light glowing on them. What could be the issue? I don’t want to change this board now.

Re: IDE Floppy Drive not detected on Asrock 990FX Extreme4 motherboard

Check the IDE connector as well as configuration jumper’s channels and devices. Make sure that they are wired in the correct position, properly secured to the connectors and correctly configured. For example, if you only have one disc and DVD drive, then place the hard disk on ide0 as master and DVD as master on IDE1. (Somewhere in the devices should show how you have to place the jumpers) Check also your BIOS to be detected and configured for IDE drive. Following things must be notes in case of any problem occur:
    • Floppy Drive must be enabled in the BIOS
    • The floppy port must be enabled in the bios also, you can disable namely
    • The flat cable normally used to power plug with the red mark
    • Floppy drive cable is possibly defective (the power LED can glow with small amount of power also).

Go to the bios setup, and see that both primary and secondary IDE controllers are enabled there. I think that there is a slight hardware problem in your case. Windows sometimes show a problem with the secondary controller. The Windows may send Floppy drive into msdos compatibility mode. To check it g to 'my computer' then PROPERTIES—PERFORMANCE. There see if Floppy drive being detected in msdos compatibility mode. If not, then it is obviously a hardware problem. You may need to restore the previous registry. To do it, reboot the computer and press F8 while booting. A menu will appear. Choose 'command prompt only' and in that windows type: scanreg/restore and press enter. There you have to select the registry to restore with a date. This time I hope that it works. If still a problem then you have to reinstall the chipset drivers.

Everyone knows that old IDE floppy drives are no longer supported in some newer PCs unless your motherboard provides a support for that intentionally. But some motherboard comes with floppy connectors. They are also easy to maintain and use with latest Windows OS like Windows vista and Windows 7.

Did you take a look into the Device manager for IDE/ ATA/ATAPI controllers?

Go to Device manager> Expand IDE/ ATA/ATAPI controllers listing. There you will need 3 lines: Primary, Secondary, and Dual. If you see any Exclamation mark, you have to remove the entire listing and reboot the system. Now when computer starts its may ask you to install new drivers from the motherboard CD or directly from online. Select the option and continue with the installation. Also watch that POST screens at startup showing all drives and listed there by model.

Open the BIOS settings and look for some changes called "Onchip IDE Device” and see whether "Legacy mode support" has been disabled in the BIOS or not, if it is disabled, the BIOS will stop looking for IDE devices or drives. Also just make sure to turn off the IDE ports which are not being used or not connected to any drives at all. By doing this, the BIOS won’t search for things that aren't there

I was running Kubuntu 7.04 on the same motherboard and getting the same problem. After booting the system, I can not easily access my floppy drive.
    Code:
     / Dev/fd0 does not exist (only / dev / fd)
    / Media/floppy0 there, but does not show the contents of the disk drive
    The command
    Code:
     sudo mount-t vfat / dev/fd0 / media / floppy
    allowed them to get access to my floppy drive. Now I can have direct access to the Konqueror without first trying a shell command. Therefore, I would be interested to know if it's just me it is not possible to access immediately after the startup of Konqueror on the floppy disk drive, or simply a general problem. Maybe someone knows how the problem should be rectified.