Thread: Which memory should I buy with Phenom II X6 1100T

Which memory should I buy with Phenom II X6 1100T

This is the first time I am going build a rig for myself and due to this reason I am confused and doubtful with certain things. And most importantly the major one is the memory that I am supposed to use in the built. I am looking out for the best memory I could get for myself in order to fulfill certain requirements. I am strictly looking out for a 16GB RAM memory. Currently I am done with the following specs:
    • Processor: Phenom II X6 1100T
    • motherboard: ASUS M4N98TD EVO, nForce 980a SLI
    • Ram: ?
    Yes the Ram is still pending, I am not getting for which Ram I should go. I have got certain list of memory type that are compatible with the motherboard but the titles are completely differet which is making it quite difficult for me to figure it out. So therefore I need your help please help me out with a proper memory that would be compatible with both the processor and motherboard. Other information; I am not at all concerned about overclocking i.e. I do not have any idea about this thing so therefore never going to try it. As it is I have heard that stabilizing 16GB on a 2000MHz is very much difficult and quite impossible. Anyways other than this I would surely like to use the memory and system for 3D rendering, Graphics and video. So please looking into my consideration and requirements help me out in choosing the best memory chip that I could get from the market that suits me and my system specifications.

Re: Which memory should I buy with Phenom II X6 1100T

I think if I am not mistaken Asus have a "qvL" listing for each and every board that is available as the pdf file. Before giving you any suggestion for the memory I would like to suggest you to check out the board webpage on their site. For my MSI motherboard I personally prefer gskill ripjaws 1600. Once if you done with the list checking you can follow up the below recommendations for your preference, I am sure all of them would be working well and also they will fullfil you necessary requirements that you have mentioned above. Here is the list of memory:

• Kingston HyperX DIMM XMP Kit 16GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-27 (DDR3-1600)
    • G.Skill RipJaws DIMM Kit 16GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600)
    • GeIL Black Dragon DIMM Kit 16GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-28 (DDR3-1600)
    • Corsair Vengeance DIMM Kit 16GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600)
    • G.Skill Trident DIMM Kit 16GB PC3-12800U CL7-8-7-24 (DDR3-1600)

Forget about any other brands just go for having Corsair Dominator CMP16GX3M4A1600C9, this is the one which is fully matched with 4X4GB set. As this Ram is nowhere listed in as QVL I would request you to however try to submit the ticket at Corsair or any Ram manufacturing before you go for any kind of high density kits purchasing. Let me tell you that fully this fully matched 4X_GB or 6X_GB are however worth with difference in their costs and also they are very much less problematic from their BIN sorting match, for example 2X4GB Kit1+ 2X4GBKit2 could be from BIN1 to BIN6 sort. If you check out any of the forums you will find Corsair as the least problematic one so therefore I am sure that the once which I have recommended will give you the best performance. Always remember that the quality of the Ram is from the ICs that are used i.e. for example, 9-9-9-24 is often faster than 7-8-7-24 with CAS disparity.

I think if I am not mistaken Asus have a "qvL" listing for each and every board that is available as the pdf file. Before giving you any suggestion for the memory I would like to suggest you to check out the board webpage on their site.
    I have already checked the chart using the same way you have stated in your post but the problem is that they just list some serial numbers or something like that, maybe they are very much easy to find out but not for me. I have already read lot about them and they seems to be highly priced. The reason I am asking for a 16GB ram is because I am sure that this one would be going to fulfill the requirements as needed. I had a 8gb memory with a scratch disk space and I am very much disappointed with the fact that how quickly I maxed out this one. Therefore planning to go for the maximum one possible. As I already stated I need to do 3D activity, then image manipulation, lots of video editing, sound editing, sounds would be up to 120 tracks, multi-layer sampling etc. so I somehow require a affordable workstation for multi-threaded applications. I know that Rams are always the main and the last obstacle and I don’t want to make the same case in my system. And even if 16GB is still not going to be enough then I would go with a smaller SSD Raid which I will implement later.

Hey I had recently checked out the specifications at both Asus and AMD and I must say that it was quite weird. The reason is that, first I read that it supports 2000Mhz but its possible only in overclocked mode then later on I read about 1600mhz and now both Asus and AMD says that its 1333mhz, almost confused me. If you don’t believe here are the listings:
    • AMD: Dual Channel PC3-10667U (DDR3-1333)
    • ASUS: 4 x DIMM, 16 GB, DDR3 2000*/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
    Also the QVL lists only 12GB modules but if you go with the Asus, according to them the boards should be able to use 16. If none of the motherboard and CPU support more than 1333 are they going to list 1600 up to 1866? The only thing I will have to check is whether I can take 16 or 12GB as both the official website and QVL are completely contradicting eachother.

For AM3 chips 1333mhz is the default speed. Anything that is higher than that has to be overclocked or however forced to be run into the system at that faster speed. If you want a speed greater than 1333mhz then surely you will have to overclock and along with that also you will have to buy a 1600mhz or other faster RAM. They probably list those Ram speed just because those speeds are obtainable and also there are now more excitement as much as stock settings for the general users. Anyways if possible for you to order from newegg you can simply get a gskill sniper for $75 shipped. Let me tell you that this Ram is 2x4gb sticks at 1333 fsb which is as according to your requirement. Its actually an email promo which gets expire very soon so therefore for you this ram will cost you around $150 for two sets. I use the same gkill sniper which is working well and fine till now, I bought it some 1 year ago.

I got 16 GB of Ram in dual channel which is equal to 4x4GB max, need not have to worry as I got the confirmation from several different sources. Its 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory. The AMD AM3 100 and 200 series CPU support up to DDR3 1066MHz. just because of the OS limitations when you try to install total memory capacity of 4GB or more than that the windows operating system especially the 32 bit system is able to only recognize less than 3GB so therefore always a total of 3GB installed memory is always recommended. For the memory QVL better you go to Asus official site and check from there.

If you check into the QVL i.e. Quality Vendor List you will find that there is no discussion or information about 16GB anywhere but remember that your board is a dual channel and not a triple or quad channel. So better you just go for a matching and similar kit of 2x4 gb 1333 or 1600 ddr3, you can go either of them as per your budget. After you go for the purchase now you will have some 4 matching sticks of 4 gb ddr3 for a total of 16gb therefore your board should now have 4 ram slot in order to fill with the maximum of 4 gb each. Also remember that the newegg price of $150 is just a benchmark price. I thoroughly checked out the QVL list and over there Samsung Chips have been listed most of the time as the most compatible with 4GB stick. Also Kingston uses Samsung chips for most of its Ram. To make sure whether you retailer or vendor carries the same stick that is listed in the qvl is to find one of the 4GB sticks from the same place.

Somewhere I heard that 2X_GB are same as 4X_GB but I guess its wrong, they are actually not the same. As according to me I feel that the best thing to do is to get Ram from the same BIN sort if possible but however I think 2X(2X_GB) Kit will work together but I would go with BIN2 not mixing with BIN6 sets only if I have a choice for selection. The channels are separated and I am ready to pay bit more for the best of 4X_GB set. Anyways coming to the conclusion I would finally recommend you to find a vendor or the retailer who can probably allow you to exchange or replace the Ram if it’s get defected or doesn’t work. If I am not mistaken I think newegg charge some 15% to 20% restocking fees for returning items. And also if you somehow you get a matching set of 4 sticks you won’t post, instead go for just two sticks. Now get into the post screen > go to BIOS and make sure that the Memory mapping settings is enabled. There are some motherboards that have this setting present in the memory section of the BIOS whereas some don’t have it, so don’t be confused if you don’t have it you can get it somewhere else by searching.