Thread: Suggestion for Motherboard to edit Video / Convert 4K files

Suggestion for Motherboard to edit Video / Convert 4K files

Hi all, I am going to assemble a new computer. I am using computer mainly to edit Video. I want to get the motherboard that will be able to handle and convert the latest 4K raw video files as of the new HD formats. I know that these are not very simple files to convert and for that reason I am asking th over here. If you can suggest me some motherboard to be fit for this purpose then I will be really thankful for you. I have searched on web for this and there were a lot of results for this and it is really confusing for me. I hope that I will get some good suggestion from you people here. Thank you so much advance for reading and replying to this.

Re: Suggestion for Motherboard to edit Video / Convert 4K files

I think that better selection for you will be the Supermicro Server H8QMi-2 + Motherboard. Here are the things that you will get along with this.
    • Four Quad-Core / Dual-Core AMD Opteron 8000 Series Socket F Support, 1000 MHz HyperTransport
    • NVidia MCP55 Pro / NEC chipset uPD720400
    • Up to 256GB DDR2 667/533/400 ECC registered SDRAM
    • Intel 82546GB dual-port Gigabit LAN / Network
    • 6 SATA2 3.0Gbps Ports
    • 1x PCI Express x16
    • IPMI 2.0 support (SIMLC/SIM1U)
    • ATI ES1000 graphics onboard
    • Support for 9 Fan with Speed Control
    • Form Factor 16.4 "x13"

You can also consider the TYAN Thunder n6550EX (S4989) as one of the better options for you. Here are some of the main things that make it much preferred for the customers:
    • Options Update Tyan S4989 Thunder memory n6550EX listed below are 100% compatible with the Tyan S4989 Thunder n6550EX.
    • Our modules contain multi-layer PCB premium for better performance and greater reliability.
    • Comprehensive quality tests are performed before the product ships.
    • Technical assistance provided for free.
    • Limited lifetime warranty.
    • Only quality brands of chips are used.
    • Improves the performance of your system.

You can go with the any of the boards that you liked my recommendation to you is not to go for the one whose power supply is less than 700 watts. My recommend to you is to go for the one which is having power supply is 800W or more than this. It will be better for a good performance otherwise you will regret your performance. So this is one of the most important things to keep in mind while purchasing the board. There are a lot of boards in market with this much power supply and you can choose any of those according to your choice.

TYAN Thunder n6550EX (S4989) is good decision to make but there is one downside of this card if we compare the same with the HP xw8600. This is the thing that you have to decide if the two x16 slot is sufficient for you. You undoubtedly require at least 2. Out of these two, one is for the AGP card and the other one is for second display otherwise some other great future frame grabber card headed to protect your investment and third for 2nd display. Other than this, if you wish to make your own box at low cost then it would be better for you to go for the TYAN motherboards. There are two options for you and that is Tempest i5400PW S5397 or S5396.

I would like to tell you that the TYAN is not having the Chasis bundled for this but it will be possible for you to check for the resellers and see which one will be better for you. I would like to tell you that the SuperMicro is having the chasis and that is perfect for your requirement. It will be better for you to get the professional help and it will be helpful for you to decide that which component you must get to put together with the workstation with the help of the dissimilar untested components. If there is any mismatch then it will let you with the worst system.

I am posting here with some suggestion for you that you must not make use of the USB2 for the video editing. If you are using that then this will make the process too slow. Other than this, you will also find that the recorded video is very laggy and out of sync. Are you making use of something with the firewire on it similar to the video cam? If yes then it will be better for you to get the motherboard that is having the firewire on that and also one case that is having the firewire connection on the front.

It also depend on if you want to have the Intel or AMD and if you want to get the socket 775, or i5/i7. Anyways, it will be better for you to go for the higher one.

I don’t think that motherboard matters for these things. It is the RAM a nd the processor that affect the video editing. If you want to get the best from that then you must choose a good configured computer with sufficient RAM and the latest processor.