Thread: intel 2500k getting overheated with hyper 212 plus

intel 2500k getting overheated with hyper 212 plus

I bought a new system and its running quite well but there are some issues which are really irritating me. And the major one is the overheating issue; yes the processor sometime shows a huge heat difference in certain cases. Before explaining my issue let me tell you that I have already installed Cooler master hyper 212 plus into the board and also have overclocked the CPU to 4.2ghz (100x42) in a HAF 932 case My CPU voltage is 1.95.

The exact problem is that I have always noticed the idle temperature which is quite enough and good at 33-34c but then whenever I play games like BattleField the highest core temperature reaches at 70 degree. Initially I the hyper 212 plus was not installed in the machine but then from the time I noticed this overheating issue I suddenly uninstalled the stock fan and installed this above mentioned one but unfortunately this didn’t make any difference for me. Can anyone help me out please?

Re: intel 2500k getting overheated with hyper 212 plus

I guess there is some issue with the turbo mode; I personally feel that you still have the intel turbo mode on. I would strictly suggest you to have a check at it and then let me know. Sadly even if you find the turbo mode on I can’t help you out my friend because even I am unaware of this thing but surely once if I get time to do some sort of R&D and play around with my system I will come up with the solution. And speaking about the heating and cooler fan, I am not sure how well does this hyper 212 plus performs as in my machine I have got hyper 212 Evo and my system idle temperature is 30-33c and @4.5Ghz and with prime95 the temperature hits 55-65C. I would better suggest you to try out this prime95 test and then note down the peak temperature and let me know full specification of your system. Hope my suggestion helped you somehow.

As per your suggestion I tried out prime 95 and ended up having the following result. The system actually hit 95c in about 30 seconds and it didn’t change for a long time. Just for more testing purpose I also tried out Intel burn which showed me the same result. I own some 2 to 3 systems, but till now never experienced any kind of temperature issue on my MSI p6n platinum/Q6600. Trust I don’t even know that this is actually a issue or this chip as it is shows this high temperature in common for all cases.

And my specifications are as follows:
    • Processor- 2500K OC = 4.2ghz @1.2v
    • CPU fan- Cooler master- Hyper 212+
    • motherboard- Asus P8Z68 Pro V Gen3
    • RAM- Corsair Vengeance 8GB
    • PSU- Corsair TX850
    • Graphic card- Galaxy GTX580
    • case- HAF 932

Heat reaching at 70C is high but you need not have to worry about it. You know the prime 95 however stresses the processor beyond the level even if you run anything that is simple and easy. Must be you have a speed stepping enabled in the motherboard bios, this thing actually reduces your multiplier and voltage whenever your machine is at idle and then it increases accordingly depending upon the current 42x100 multiplier. In order to measure the temperatures may I know what programs you use? Also let me know what thermal paste have you used in order to fix your CPU and cooler fan. if possible try to reapply the thermal paste.

I am not sure with the CPU case that you have mentioned, if there is no way for the airflow in it then surely it could be one of the reason for the issue. hope the airflow is fine and well set in it.

Thanks for the solution and information you provided, but I have already reseated and reapplied the thermal paste which as usual didn’t make any difference the thermal paste that I have applied is arctic silver 5. There are people who tell me that reaching at or above 70c are very much common for such battlefield type of games. And I need not have to worry, that would be normal for 4.6 overclock with a 212 in prime95.

No doubt the issue is due to the CPU seating or maybe you are using excess of thermal paste. According to my knowledge thermal paste is nowhere a good conductor of heat whereas heat can somehow be considered as one of the conductive one. If you are not able to take the air out that are coming between the CPU and the cooler. If you apply a little paste it would get the air out of the case which makes things nice and workable but if you get too much of paste over them then the paste might act like a thermos and insulates the CPU which in turns heats up the CPU above the expectation.
    I generally use artic silver 5 which is quite well, the idle temperature of my system is 28c and the maximum temperature under stress test is 33c. but however my machine is not overclocked or something but the temperature I have motioned are those temperature that any common user should be expecting from this cooler at stock.

In my case I can say that the issue is exactly the same but when I reseated, noticed that the temperature didn’t raised above the expectation or can say above 80 to 90c. if I have prime 95 then the temperature rises above 70 to 80c within few seconds and stays the same for more than 15 to 20 minutes.
    The issue started after I installed Hyper 212+ so therefore I personally believe that there is something related to the same. This CPU cooler has not been installed properly but I am sure that I have added a proper amount of Arctic Silver 5 thermal pastes. I still remember the first time I applied the paste; I actually spread it over the CPU with the help of the scale, and then when I pulled the heat sink nowhere I seem to cover the pipes. I used the parallel line method directly to the heat sink when I reseated and also made sure that everything is placed and oriented properly.

There may be possibility that the parallel lines that you have placed on the heatsink was not enough so better you can try out smearing a thin layer over the pipes with the credit card or something that is thin. I too had this issue, but then I added a second fan to the heatsink to note down the changes. I also ran prime95 for some 10 minutes, my temperatures never got over 74c on a single core. Just to make myself sure I was using RealTemp and CoreTemp this time.

As said when I installed the second fan I notice that there was a play on the heat sink fan where I was able to twist it back and forth. Also the 212 that bracket came to me along was quite painful while installing. I think you should also try to tighten the knob that is present in the middle and also try to twist it.

Bad chip and nothing else. If all the treatment fails and also if no other solution works out then you should accept that you have a bad chip. Heat sink fan can also be the reason if not the chip but surely either of both of them could be the main defect. Once when I had this issue I simply tried out every possible things that came in my mind and also tried out the other alternate suggestion which were suggested to me by other people but none of them worked or showed any changes. I pulled out each and every single part out of the system then reseated the CPU also tighten the nuts on the hype 212 backplate but at last the result was the same with no difference. But the moment when I replaced the heat sink fan and the chip everything worked well from then onwards, I don’t know which one amongst them was the main reason but after I replaced both of them everything was correctly fixed.