Thread: Lenovo ThinkStation D10 BIOS shows only 1 CPU

Lenovo ThinkStation D10 BIOS shows only 1 CPU

Recently I have installed 2 ram modules to my Thinkcenter D10-6427. Now the RAMs are 6x2GB and 2x2GB. The system seems working week and slight gain in performance as well. After this upgrade, I just opened the task administrator and there noticed that only 4 CPU graphs like 1 Xeon working. There doesn’t look like change in performance at all. I checked with other apps like Lenovo ThinkVantage, PC Properties and BIOS but all of them show only 1 CPU.
    So I again removed the RAM which I have recently added and then booted the system but the windows 7 couldn’t start at all. Also during the boot up SAS HDD not showed up. I could only see DVD and SSD. What kind of problem is this?

Re: Lenovo ThinkStation D10 BIOS shows only 1 CPU

Due to sudden memory changes, the system might show you unexpected results. First of all try to install one FB-DIMM in slot 0 and reset the BIOS using CMOS batter or simply the jumper. Now see if that helps. Sometimes Operating the System with only one memory module will help you to test the system properly.

If your BIOS do not detect second CPU, then you have to remove both CPUs and put each individually for testing. Make sure that you are using socket 0 (labeled "CPU0") for the first time. This will help you to recognize whether the CPU is really dead or not. However if you find that both CPUs working, then the issue is probably due to the BIOS or the memory upgrade. Make sure that you have properly put thermal past over the CPU.

The best thing you can do is take the motherboard manual and go into the BIOS. Usually there are two options that can be started. Advanced BIOS and BIOS default. The BIOS default settings for security, but not for optimal performance. The Advanced BIOS are optimized by the board manufacturer's BIOS settings for optimal performance. Go to point to point and see if any changes needed there or not. Sometimes adding extra memory is not usable if the CPU is damaged or broken. The operating CPU only takes exact amount of RAM which it can handle. Otherwise left alone as it is. If the both CPUs working fine, then only the upgrade will show you huge amount of performance gain.