Thread: Cpu Cooler Interface of Am3+ Board

Cpu Cooler Interface of Am3+ Board

ok ive got a freezer extreme cooler origional it says its good for amd am2+ upto 160w. what i wanna know is if i can get away with using it on a am3+ board?? the heatsink base is a little bit smaller then the actual cpu with 1-3 mm of cpu sitting out from the copper base of the heat sink will this be a problem??

Re: Cpu Cooler Interface of Am3+ Board

You can only fit it unless you have proper support for the cooler. Anyhow it is always recommended that the cpu cooler edge part should be bigger than the cpu surface so that it can tightly cover all part and draw the heat out. I am a bit doubtful on the same. AM3+ sockets are bit larger. If the edge fits and little area is exposed you can give a try to fix it.

yeah it bolts down correct it was just the cpu sittin out from under the cooler base i had a problem with. ive actually got a email from the manufacturers
    "Thank you for the email, we would like to help you regarding this issue.

We are sorry to hear that you have concern with one of our products. However, the heat is coming from the center of the chip instead of the side. Therefore, it is not necessary to cover the entire surface for cooling purposes and you may continues the installation.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen"

he seems to think that the heat only comes from the centre of the cpu im not to sure about that what you recon??

That looks good. You can give a try. Take care that there should not be any gap. The only issue you can face is because of thermal paste. If you apply the paste it can spread and come out from edges which turns to powder after a period of time due to heat. Place it properly and check the temperature in bios. Let it be for hours. If it is stable then good to go.