Thread: 2x2GB kingston Ram shows 2GB in total

2x2GB kingston Ram shows 2GB in total

Recently my friend bought 2 2GB Ram of Kingston. He however managed to install both of them into his system perfectly but now the issue is that whenever I try to check the available memory space, it shows 2GB in total and not 4GB. he came up to me asking some help regarding this thing but let me tell you I am a complete non technical personal but I believe that however I will get some of the other kind of help from there so therefore I created this thread. Please help us out and let us know why the system is reading the ram size

Re: 2x2GB kingston Ram shows 2GB in total

Look what I actually feel is that there maybe some difference between both the Ram modules with respect to the specifications and appearance wise. Please note down both the ram modules values under Refresh to active/Refresh Command Time if possible. Also there maybe possibility that both the modules facing a conflict or something is running those different RAMs at dual channel mode that caused the missing 2GB.

The first thing I need to ask you is what version of OS you are running in your system, I mean your friend is running in his system? Make sure that he is running a 32 bit version of windows OS in order to avoid any inconvenience.

Other suggestion I can give you is to try out the Ram individually. You can first try checking your system by installing only one 2GB ram if its properly detected remove it and then install the other 2GB ram and see whether even it is detected or not. If either of them is not detected them surely that Ram is faulty and you need to change or replaced it from the place you bought it. And in case if both the Ram works you can try out different combination of Ram slots.

I do have the same issue but don’t know what exactly is causing it. I have tried out everything that is possible by me but none of the trick have at least reveled the main cause of the issue. I have researched a lot. Let me tell you that one of the two Ram is single sided the other one is double sided, which means one is based on 256 bit memory chips whereas the other is double row 128 bit which again mean that it could have the double row on one side of the chips. Anyhow it should still be able to show 4gb of ram unless and until the module or memory slots on the board are faulty.

Other suggestion I can give you is to try out the Ram individually. You can first try checking your system by installing only one 2GB ram if its properly detected remove it and then install the other 2GB ram and see whether even it is detected or not. If either of them is not detected them surely that Ram is faulty and you need to change or replaced it from the place you bought it. And in case if both the Ram works you can try out different combination of Ram slots.
    Tried your suggestion, tested both the ram individually and I found that both of them were working well and fine also tried out all sort of combination nothing showed any error or misbehavior but then when I put everything on place and reboot the system to check the memory size it shows me the same faulty size of 2gb. let me tell you that I am running windows 7 with HD6670 1GB VRAM.

Let me tell you that one of the two Ram is single sided the other one is double sided, which means one is based on 256 bit memory chips whereas the other is double row 128 bit which again mean that it could have the double row on one side of the chips.
    Hey your statement made me to think a lot. The difference which you showed between those two sticks somewhere have something to do with the motherboard’s dual channel config/capability and maybe this is what exactly causing such Ram volume error.

If your problem is not sorted out you can try switching to some other mode in BIOS, I mean you can switch to ganged mode in the BIOS; there maybe possibility that those Ram are using some other different memory interfaces, if so then definitely once you switch to ganged mode they both will start working. But remember things wont workout in dual channel mode as I personally believe that it is essentially unganged mode.

Most of the time the problem is caused due to several different reasons, the main cause of this issue always differs in different systems. Let me tell you that if you are running x58 platform and if the heatsink is too tight then you can probably face this issue. Also I would like to tell you that the system actually does not requires dual channel to boot, in fact its present over there in order to increase the performance on the memory bandwidth. There can also be possibility with the memory controller; maybe the memory controller is not at all supporting the dual channel setup.

Yeah heatsink could be the reason. Already I have read about the same thing on some other threads too; they says that if the heatsink is too tightly held then you might face this issue.
    In order to get rid of this issue you need to first take your CPU and then inspect the socket pins of the board. Make sure that there are no bent or damaged pins. Alongside also have a look at the CPU contact pad. Hope there is no such thing present over there, and if you find either of the defects then it will cost you a lot.