Thread: BIOS loads slowly after flashing Marvell 2.2.0.1125 firmware in gigabyte X58A-UD7

BIOS loads slowly after flashing Marvell 2.2.0.1125 firmware in gigabyte X58A-UD7

My gigabyte X58A-UD7 was working very well with BIOS F9d without any issue. in fact I never had any issues with either BIOS or the motherboard. But then the only mistake I committed was with upgrading my current BIOS with new Marvell BIOS firmware version 2.2.0.1125. After I flashed Marvell 2.2.0.1125 I noticed that my BIOS started showing some slow behavior, it actually started taking some 10 to 15 seconds to get load which is very much annoying. It also hands on the "C1h" light indicator which is actually a memory check. Let me tell you that before this I never had any issues with the BIOS but after I flashed to this version everything seems to be messed up. Is there anyone else who is facing the same issue? Also if possible let me know any appropriate solution.

Re: BIOS loads slowly after flashing Marvell 2.2.0.1125 firmware in gigabyte X58A-UD7

So the only solution I can see is to switch back to the older version of BIOS. You can either switch to the previous one which you had i.e. F9d or else better you turn to something else like F7 which works well according to me. I have the same gigabyte motherboard X58A-UD7 running BIOS version F7 on it.

Re: BIOS loads slowly after flashing Marvell 2.2.0.1125 firmware in gigabyte X58A-UD7

I do have the same problem; things don’t seem to be working fine after that firmware update in my system. I think there is some compatibility issue between the X58A-UD7 motherboard and this new Marvell 2.2.0.1125 BIOS firmware. In my case not just the BIOS loads slowly but also it sometimes crashes the system and freeze itself as said above. I have noticed another thing that if ever I leave the memory on default 1033mhz the freeze time reduces and it happens only for shorter period of time i.e. 5 seconds instead of 10 to 15 seconds.

I would suggest you to flash to the current BIOS once again, I mean try to flash new Marvell 2.2.0.1125 BIOS firmware again if possible or you can also try out some other latest BIOS version if possible. Once done load optimized defaults then save, apply, reboot and back to the BIOS. Then again in the BIOS set your SATA settings to whatever you need to load windows.

That’s a good option but I guess for the best result you need to do more in the BIOS settings.

If possible after the above steps try to navigate into the integrated Peripherals BIOS page, over there find “SATA3 Firmware Selection Mode” setting and set this to force, then you need to save/apply/reboot and let it boot to windows. After the IRQ screen before the windows load you can probably see the Marvell firmware updating at the top of the screen. And thus your issue should be corrected from then onwards.

I have tried switching back to older BIOS but that seems to be not working at all, I installed gigabyte bios F7. In fact after going for F7 BIOS I noticed something weird. On this BIOS AHCI doesn’t works at all. Whenever I try to scan the AHCI hard drive at BIOS it tells me “AHCI Bios not installed” and from there it hangs. I guess I will have to get back to BIOS F9a then F9d in order to get things working again including AHCI.

This new Marvell BIOS firmware that is released was supposed to improve the SATA 3 speed on the Marvell controller but how come it proved to be a negative aspect. I guess the Marvell BIOS has however corrupted the AHCI BIOS and also the memory checker on your gigabyte motherboard. Even if you try to reflash the BIOS your problem will not be sorted out as reflashing will however not going to update the AHCI BIOS or the memory checker.

On this BIOS AHCI doesn’t works at all. Whenever I try to scan the AHCI hard drive at BIOS it tells me “AHCI Bios not installed” and from there it hangs. I guess I will have to get back to BIOS F9a then F9d in order to get things working again including AHCI.
    For your knowledge let me tell you that AHCI is just an option ROM and not a BIOS, not just AHCI but the same thing is applied to memory checker. Therefore always remember that these tags could never be removed or changed if you flash or update the BIOS firmware. The only way then can be changed is manually editing them in a BIOS and then flashing it or else simply reflashing the BIOS.

Do as follows:
    From the readme file, erase the Marvell BIOS through,
    • type 'go -b -e' Erase only BIOS
    • type 'go -e' Erase every sector
    • type 'go -b -e' Erase only BIOS
    • type 'go -x -e' Erase only Firmware on MAGNI
    Then reflash the BIOS and then set Force on the Firmware and this should erase whatever you add and correct there, and at last flash back in the Gigabyte one.

Whenever I try to scan the AHCI hard drive at BIOS it tells me “AHCI Bios not installed” and from there it hangs.
    The error message which you have mentioned comes only when you do not have a CD/DVD player connected or else if you do not have any drives connected in the AHCI mode. Their just simple and normal messages so don’t take it seriously. Also I would like to tell you that the Marvell ROM (Included in the BIOS) has an IDE, AHCI, and RAID section.