Thread: Amd fx series processor comparison with intel 2500K/ 2600K processor

Amd fx series processor comparison with intel 2500K/ 2600K processor

Currently I am having intel 2500k installed in my machine from past 2 years and now I have decided to upgrade it with something with more cores. The only thing that is stopping me from the upgrade is the huge price of the processors as I was supposed to get a 2600k, also I have found that this 2600k is not a real 8 core.
    Other than this 26k 6100 and 8120 are the ones that are on my option list. Is there anyone who can compare them the best way so that I can easily make out the difference and then go for the best one amongst them?

Re: Amd fx series processor comparison with intel 2500K/ 2600K processor

Let me tell you that if you are planning to go for either of those two chips then surely you are downgrading your games, so better don’t do that. And the 8120 is simply a huge hit for the cheap virtual machine servers. This is what I know about the fx series. Hope you got bit knowledge about the processor.

I am running multiple servers off my system and even I was planning to buy a 2600k but very much confused with some other best processors as there involves a huge investment. I just know that if you compare 6100 and 8120 and 2500/2600 the 6100 and 8120 actually do not perform well but that doesn’t mean that they are not good enough for the selection.

One of my friends play Battlefield 3 on two of the system having the same GTX 560 graphic card but different CPUs installed in it. On his 2500k system he plays at 1920x1080 at low settings which never dips below 65 fps, whereas on FX 6100 it dips into the low 50s which is quite annoying according to him.

So we can say that with FX 6100, playing heavy CPU games wont be possible as those games like BF3 perform at its worst even with extra cores. Can you ask your friend whether both the processor that were installed in two different systems at their stock clocks. Are you only limited with BF3 and never tried other games to see whether the same issue is being faced. I guess you are using the system in a Sig so therefore if possible at least once try to put both of them at the same clock having the same amount of Ram and then let me know the result. However let me tell you that on one of your system if you have BF3 on an SSD and on HDD on another system then that could probably play the factor. Also try to closely build both the system and try to play the same game on both of them.

Let me tell you that if you are planning to go for either of those two chips then surely you are downgrading your games, so better don’t do that. And the 8120 is simply a huge hit for the cheap virtual machine servers. This is what I know about the fx series. Hope you got bit knowledge about the processor.
    I do certainly agree with you, even I run virtual machines but what exactly I run is at least one minecraft server, appache server. Other than this I would also like to run a TF2 server, BF2 server, TS server, more minecraft servers, more powerful FTP server but unfortunately I couldn’t run them just because of lack of cores.

I am one of the users of FX processor; with respect to overclocking the FX chips from AMD however needs about 4.5ghz overclocks in order to play high level games especially those older single and dual threaded games. and for the multiple server requirement I can only say that you need to get an overclocked 8120 that could serve at its best for the same, its best for multiple VMs and also other heavy multithreaded.

If possible at least once try to put both of them at the same clock having the same amount of Ram and then let me know the result. However let me tell you that on one of your system if you have BF3 on an SSD and on HDD on another system then that could probably play the factor. Also try to closely build both the system and try to play the same game on both of them.
    As per your suggestion I did as accordingly and found that it’s only having an adverse affect on the game start up time and nothing else. Also let me tell you that now both of the system is running SSDs. Also we checked both the same clocks and found no difference in the results. Generally if you see Battlefield uses about 4 gb of memory and right now my Sandy bridge system is overkilled so therefore I personally do not feel any sense of pulling 8gb out of the intel product.

From your R&D I can only say that games like BF3 that uses lots of cores can only benefit from Sandy bridge over FX, but however I do not play most of those games except for BF2. In fact I played BF2 for the first time after a month. Currently I am not at all worried with the 8120 doing everything that I needed but if think about future a question arises that how it will look as far as handling its own for the games and other multiple applications.