Thread: How much can i overclock Ivy Bridge processor?

How much can i overclock Ivy Bridge processor?

My question is quite simple; I just wanted to know how much high can I overclock a Ivy Bridge processor. I have no idea about this processor’s overclocking status so therefore very much eager to know about it.
    Will 5 ghz be fine of these processor to work and function? Please let me know about it as soon as possible.

Re: How much can i overclock Ivy Bridge processor?

For your kind information the overclocking functionality and the features of this processor have not yet been revealed by the official people, but in general I guess if you consider the golden chips, they surely has the capability of hitting 5.5-5.6 ghz and in case of an ordinary or you can say an average chip, it will hit 5.0-5.2 ghz. Better you wait for few more days to know more about this processor.

Hey I guess I can help you out providing some information. As according to the leaked details and ES results of this processor, they actually requires a bit less voltage in order to hit higher clocks but at the same time on the other side they also get hot as soon as the cores are more tightly packed together. This is due to the smaller manufacturing process.
    Also there is no one present with any news or information about how well the 3rd transistors are able to cope up with the higher than a stock voltage.

If you have more transistors in a very small space then this will definitely result in cores needing to have more and more cooling. If the voltage is considerably less the the higher temperature wil never make any sense. Its possible but seems to be very much senseless to me.

I didn’t get your statement with the heating issue, why there will be less heat with increase in the number of transistors. For your kind information let me tell you that:
    • If number of transistors increases, amount of heat will be produced more
    • And also if the processor is smaller, again the amount of heat generated will be more per mm2

Maybe the 3rd transistor of Intel will be lower leakage than that of their existing ones. From the ES test what I have noticed is that the chip is stable at 4.8ghz @ 1.35v while hitting 90c+.

Hey I guess I can help you out providing some information. As according to the leaked details and ES results of this processor, they actually requires a bit less voltage in order to hit higher clocks but at the same time on the other side they also get hot as soon as the cores are more tightly packed together. This is due to the smaller manufacturing process.
    I have checked out some of the initial reports of this processor ES version which is hitting close to 5 ghz which is same as your expectations but at the same time it also get too hot which again drops on the negative side. However considering its ES, it is very much difficult to make out how different will be the final product. I am sure not just you but there may be many other users who are expecting a 5+ overclocks.

If you have more transistors in a very small space then this will definitely result in cores needing to have more and more cooling. If the voltage is considerably less the higher temperature will never make any sense. Its possible but seems to be very much senseless to me.
    Surely the heat is going to be more concentrated and at its best but if kept with a proper cooling it should simply make the chip run cool overall. It will focus on the small spaces and also there will be less heat.

If you use a new smaller processor there is surely a less heat production if you run a cooler with lower power consumption. I do not see any point why exactly overclock run hotter than sandy bridge. I still believe that the Ivy Bridge will definitely run cooler than the Sandy Bridge not because they have added much more features and functionalities to it. If you notice whenever you employ a smaller processor you will get less heat but the power consumption will be higher comparatively. It has always been recorded that if the process is smaller, heat and power consumption is more.

Maybe the 3rd transistor of Intel will be lower leakage than that of their existing ones. From the ES test what I have noticed is that the chip is stable at 4.8ghz @ 1.35v while hitting 90c+.
    But in my case the heat sink was very much cool as per the tester on my Z68 motherboard system. As according to me all you have to do now a days is to look at the heatsink in order to see the cooling needs continue to increase. I still remember that I used one of the best cooler that was present in the market when I first time built my Athlon XP system in 2001, an all-copper block of a heatsink from Thermalright. Let me tell you that this heatsink was really huge with almost about half the size of the Cooler master TX-3.

Number of time I have tried running my 920 mostly at 4.2 and never went past 1.325v. And with Sandy Bridge there are many users who run sandy bridge at 1.45+ 7\24 per, then why didn’t the per mm i.e. apox. 30-40-%temp spike not come up. Ivy Bridge is only =+ 10% IPC & +10% overclock's. But I really do not care about it as my 2600k runs faster enough as per my requirement and I am sure much faster than IB.

Better you wait for while and see whether they come up with the real value. When I checked some few days ago there were very few of the Sandy Bridge ES that were able to hit any high clocks i.e. sub 4.8 w\ high v.

Just because of the thermal limitations Ivy Bridge is not going to be able to overclock as much as Sandy bridge does. And if any of the rumors are fake information are true then surely it will have a serious impact on those who are seeking 5 ghz. Anyways in my case I am not sure whether that will restrict me from buying it as I personally believe that it has some serious and impressive tempting power figures for the performance we get.

Anyways the fact is that Ivy Bridge doesn’t looks like it will ever be able to overclock much higher than the sandy bridge on air or water. There are people who are hoping to run run 5.3+ Ghz on air which is certainly not happening, instead if they limit with 5 Ghz Sandy bridge would return the best out of it, you can surely see sandy bridge going about 100-150 Mhz further.