Thread: Should i go for a new CPU or wait for Intel Ivy Bridge?

Should i go for a new CPU or wait for Intel Ivy Bridge?

My system is 5 years old and now I am planning to upgrade it. But currently the most important thing that I need to upgrade is the processor. Currently I am having first gen E6600 which according to me is not so happening.
    Anyways my preference for the latest processor is Ivy Bridge. But there are some of my friends who are suggesting me to go for some other new processor instead of waiting for this Ivy Bridge. I am really very much confused, can anyone suggest me with the best processor if Ivy Bridge doesn’t comes in your list.

Re: Should i go for a new CPU or wait for Intel Ivy Bridge?

Definitely you should wait for Ivy Bridge unless and until you are supposed to wait for the next 7 days. Heard that the launching of this processor is going to annoy many of the user with respect to the price on all of the other products currently present in the market if you are unable to get it at the time of its debut.

I do agree with you, but do you really think even Intel have ever dropped their CPU prices. Not sure but Maybe the Z77 boards might drop the price of Z68 board. When it comes to performance I would certainly not consider Ivy Bridge as the top most deciding factor.

And when price is considered, you may surely save on the CPU at about 50$-100$ if you are willing to wait for Ivy Bridge. And if you are really willing to go for the upgrade now then I don’t think that the price is going to drop down enough to satisfy you.

I am also waiting for the best CPU upgrade in my system, but I am not at all confused with my options. There are certain processors which I have shortlisted and definitely going to choose amongst them. There are three processors which I have considered and all three of them belong to different brands, they are:
    • i5 2500k
    • Ivy Bridge
    • Sandy bridge

let me tell you that currently I am having a HD 4870 video card installed in my machine and a 530W Tagan PSU which is according to me running fine and smooth. After the upgrade I have decided to run windows 7 professional and the system is mostly dedicated to gaming so please considering my requirements suggest me with the best processor.

Ok so after looking at your criteria I would only say that you better go for a cheaper processor as much as possible and then get the best GPU for your machine. As you have mentioned that you are totally going to dedicate your system for gaming so definitely the first and the for most thing that should be considered is the graphic card or you can say GPU and then comes the processor. So better you first start worrying about the GPU and short few of them instead of short listing the processors, you can probably go for a cheaper processor of any brand.

My system is 5 years old and now I am planning to upgrade it. But currently the most important thing that I need to upgrade is the processor. Currently I am having first gen E6600 which according to me is not so happening.
    Seems like you upgrade your system after every several years rather than doing it every year if possible. Look you better wait for at least 2 months if the upgrade plan is not a big criteria for you. Now a days if you check prices of the processors does not go down so easily. You wont believe I have a Clarkdale chips which I bought some 2 years ago, even now if I verify the price of this same processor at the same retailer shop from where I bought it, its still the same.

Yeah I do agree with you, prices now a days have been stopped like a still picture. With the price and the performance you won’t even find any such thing as buyer’s fault or guilt. At the earlier time there were days where the prices of the processor were used to drop tremendously after every month of its release and also other higher clocked processors were supposed to be released every 3 months.

But surely you should wait for few more days for the Ivy Bridge to come in the market. at the least the Ivy bridge is going to consume very less power when compared to the SB chip. As everyone already knows that the prices of the Sandy Bridge have already been dropped and definitely they are going to reduce even more.

For everyone present over here who are really willing to go for a Ivy bridge upgrade or waiting from a long time for this processor, I have a news for you; in fact a good news for you all. If I am not mistaken the Ivy Bridge processor is expected to be released in the month of April between 9th and the 22nd. Not sure with the information but this is what I came to know from my friend.

Hey no matter what other suggest, ultimately I am going to wait for more while for the Ivy Bridge. Better everyone who is planning to go for a this process wait and do not get diverted or brainwashed with some other currently released ones.
    i5 2500k
    Ivy Bridge
    Sandy bridge
    Better you drop out all other options and wait for few more days for IB as the date has been reveled in the above post. I am sure that the date is correct and not a random guess.