Thread: Desktop processors vs Server processors

Desktop processors vs Server processors

I am interested in knowing the difference between the two types of processors. I heard it from a friend that the server class of processor are heavy duty processors and are way too costly. Does that mean that they can do better in gaming? I would highly appreciate it if someone with sound knowledge of hardware can elaborate more on this.

Re: Desktop processors vs Server processors

First of all the two types of processor that you are trying to compare can quite frankly never be compared as both of them were designed to fulfill certain goals. It’s more like comparing apples and oranges which is just plain unfair. You seem to be a lot into games and stuff so I’d suggest you leave the server processors alone and concentrate more on the normal gaming processors. What your friend meant was that the processors used in servers are made in such a manner that they can operate 24 x 7 with heavy computational and IO tasks with the least downtime possible.

You can’t manage to keep a server at home unless you are running an SMB from home which is highly unlikely. And as the above poster said they are designed for tasks that you won’t even understand if I mentioned them here. To make it easier I’ll give you an example. The computer you use at home is a desktop. A server on the other hand is a machine that is used by companies to advertise, store and process information on the internet or any other network.

The server processor supports Error Check & Correct (ECC). The DT side does not. Although, there is not much gain to be had from the feature to the normal desktop users but it’s very important in server operations. It can avoid many crashes and random BSODs which are likely to happen on a server that runs continuously. You won’t be able to benefit from what the server space has to offer anyway. Servers are good with computations. The desktop counterparts on the other hand when combined with a GPU can provide for excellent on the fly Floating point calculations and can provide more bandwidth as required by games.