Thread: Virtual V-Sync in Intel z77 Panther motherboard

Virtual V-Sync in Intel z77 Panther motherboard

I was recently reading an article regarding default quality of graphics that Intel z77panther chipset will offer. It will be of good quality as it integrates IvyBridge technology to give good quality of graphics. It has focused on development of Virtual V-Sync which will determine a good refresh rate for the display generated by this chipset. One benefit of this will be that the framerate won’t be limited to value around 60 but will increase. What do other users think about this development?

Re: Virtual V-Sync in Intel z77 Panther motherboard

This is an excellent development in chipset, with monitor having frequency of more than 60 Hz the framerate will go around 100. The framerate achieved using this chipset will be equivalent to Nvidia’s trillinear buffering. Many graphic cards and related products have problem with V-Sync. Many times display lags with VSync enabled. I hope Intel has overcome these limitations. If anyone truly wants to use this chipset, I suggest that the person must have monitor with frequency of 120 Hz.

To avoid the lags created by Vsync feature, I limit the framerate to 59. This tricks the graphic processor into thinking that the buffer heads that increase the framerate above 60 are empty. This changes the algorithm to store the pre-rendered frames in the empty buffer heads. So the images will be rendered in advance and will stop any lags that might occur. This can be easily done in graphic cards using its control panel. But since the processor has no direct control panel, I think to do this; I’ll have to go in BIOS settings every time. Intel must develop some system for controlling the processor directly from OS.

Once a graphic card reaches the point where it can render frame at rate of 80 to 90 frames per seconds, it start generating a lot of heat. Due to this many times the graphic card overheats and its drivers crash. The buffer cap which limits the framerate to 59 is very useful n such graphic cards. If the Intel z77 Panther chipset can provide such a great framerate, it should also be used with cooling fan of high speed. If in any case, processor crashes, it can cause more complications than the crash of graphic drivers.

Fans that cool the graphic cards which generate high framrerate have often found making noise above its limit. Intel should see to it that the processor doesn’t heat and make the cooling fan make noises.

Online multiplayer games are made using lower quality of graphics because they utilize the resources from on-board graphics of a computer. If chipsets like Intel z77 Panther come into use and many people start using it then developers of online games can start making high quality graphics even for these games.