Thread: Dell optiplex GX270 unable to detect hard drive until hard disk should be off and on in bios?

Dell optiplex GX270 unable to detect hard drive until hard disk should be off and on in bios?

so as I could not find any solutions in this case as it has been since long times that the issue is not solved yet and to discuss regarding this issue , I have Dell Optiplex GX270 Small form factor motherboard with A07 bios with two cd-drives with one floppy drive along with one hard drive which is plugged with this motherboard. The PC is not able to detect my hardisk and it feels so irritating that I have to go to the bios each time when I start my system I have to go to the bios followed by drives plus primary master drive and finally in auto mode i need to off as well as on again to saves the changes. So it sis so irritating to perform all this process and after such a long route it detects my hard drive. So is there any means to change my path . can you guys advise me in this case.

Re: Dell optiplex GX270 unable to detect hard drive until hard disk should be off and on in bios?

I have some information in this case and all I found was that this issue usually occurs with a new drive and for this to solve , you require to set the drive jumper to cable select and all your issues would be sorted out. So make a try of this one.

Re: Dell optiplex GX270 unable to detect hard drive until hard disk should be off and on in bios?

Hey I am completely a newbie and don’t know much about this one , I am concerned to the software team and have enough knowledge regarding the software , but I really don’t have idea . and I will just say that this harddisk is not new but my cd-rom drive is new and as you suggested regarding the setting of jumper , I don’t have any idea regarding the jumper. Please add more suggestions.

To answer in simple terms is thee any connections with both CD drives as well as the IDE cable, and also with the hard drive to the other IDE cable? Make sure regarding proper connections as this might cause you to proceed with a long route as you mentioned earlier. Also make sure about if there are proper connections between your hard drive cable to port 0 along with your CD drives cable connected to port 1?

So now after making some research on this topic , I am now coming into this information as I found the jumper and approached the settings and came to me that the settings are all correct so what I am missing with.

So according to me, I suppose that this system is able to take both IDE as well as SATA drives. If you have used an SATA drive as the system drive, you are not able to make a boot from an IDE drive. So all you need to do is disable the SATA ports.

Try this one if the issue has not resolved yet. Hope this one helps you. So my only suggestion would be to reset CMOS settings, and followed by setting up the BIOS for the drive you have along with you also need to see if settings are retained. This might solve if you have checked with what I said.

Hey at last I found and it has noticed that the drives in dell make use of Cable Select. And it was solved in my case as I had this issue and all I did was set my jumpers for cable select on all drives that make use of IDE cable. and If the drive says unidentified, that usually points to the jumper is not set to cable select. Either that or there is a issue with the drive.