Thread: USB3 Port freezing on Intel DH67CF motherboard

USB3 Port freezing on Intel DH67CF motherboard

Recently built a new PC with Intel DH67CF motherboard and I must say that its working great. Everything is doing well except for the USB3 port, this external USB3 port freezes a lot.

I have a Western Digital My Passport USB3 external disc, I use this external disc for storing data and other important things. Noticed a lot of time that this USB3 port stopped working or freezes and once this happens it also affects the USB2 port which is quite annoying. None of the port type is able to recognize my disc even if it is plugged in. please help me out from this issue.

Re: USB3 Port freezing on Intel DH67CF motherboard

I am somewhat aware of this issue, as according to my knowledge this USB freezing happens due to the attachment of the external disc and also due the file coping activity. While doing so amongst several unusual and negative things one of them surely takes place.
    One of them that often takes place is the file coping dialog box appears to stuck and due to this no progress takes place. This thing results in coping the same file and do not show any kind of progression, then you are the one who have to understand the action is stuck and then cancel the activity.

Till now the only solution I have found is to reboot the system; you cannot use the Task Manager for canceling the activity as even Task Manager also fails to close the program, so therefore better reboot the system.

I really appreciate your knowledge regarding this issue but certainly I do not agree with the solution you provided. I do have the same problem, and for your kind information I already tried almost all the possible trick but each one of them end up landing into some other trouble.

Till now the only solution I have found is to reboot the system; you cannot use the Task Manager for canceling the activity as even Task Manager also fails to close the program, so therefore better reboot the system. This should make your machine work normally then onwards.
    As you said that rebooting the system should bring everything to its normal position, but it does not makes any sense because in my case when I reboot the system the machine hangs while shutting down or logging off. I mean whenever I reboot or shut down the machine while the machine prepares to turn off, it generally shows “Shutting down” or “Logging off” screen and during that time it hangs and only response to the off switch.

I do understand your issue, on rebooting the system stops and do not go further than the intel flash screen and also it will hang showing up the “EB” in the lower right hand side. The most interesting thing is that it wont even allow you to see the boot screen neither it will allow you to perform Alt+Ctrl+Del, so therefore you will need to perform a second Switch off in order to get the system boot properly. During the intial time when I bought this Intel DH67CF system I use to get the exact same problem, while coping not just the task use to hang but also it use to show me an error message saying “Items not found, this is no longer located in (source_name), verify the item location and try again”, it means that the item I am trying to copying is unable to detect by the system which was very much surprising to me. And another interesting thing was that whenever this use to happen I noticed that all the directories on the USB disc appears to be empty but this is resolved when the system is rebooted.

Better you run a "USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility" which actually comes with a driver in order to check out the firmware version of your USB 3.0 Host Controller.
    Once if you find the firmware version lower than 3028, and then you are supposed to upgrade your firmware version. And once you upgrade the firmware, surely you are going to resolve the issue.

Once if you delete the USB3 driver from the Device Manager and then keep using just USB2, surely your system must function properly. When was having this issue what I did was installed an Asus U3S6 adapter in my system, I was having an old system of intel DX38BT and not the one which you are currently having. So when I installed that adapter in order to just support my USB3, I never had a single minor or major issue. Use to get a brilliant speed with a smooth functioning.

I do not understand why exactly facing such problem, as far as I know DH67CF and U3S6 both generally uses Renesas chip in order to provide support to USB3. I think the issue is with the board, better you show it to the intel care center and if possible switch your board to some older model.

Better you run a "USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility" which actually comes with a driver in order to check out the firmware version of your USB 3.0 Host Controller.
    Hey thanks for the suggestion. I did installed and ran that USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility and checked out my firmware version, it showed that I have 3024 currently installed in my machine. Now I guess I need to get some later versions but the question arises that from where exactly I can get the further firmware updates. And also another doubt is that do I need to upgrade the version above 3028 or just upgrading to 3028 is fine.

I did upgrade the firmware version from 302x to 3028 and things worked fine; I had no issues with both my USB3 external discs.

I do not understand why exactly facing such problem, as far as I know DH67CF and U3S6 both generally uses Renesas chip in order to provide support to USB3.
    I agree that both DH67CF and U3S6 uses Renesas Chip, but that really do makes any sense in any of the cases. When my old system had this issue I tried out all the earlier version of Renasas driver including the one for U3S6 but nothing worked the issue were still the same, the original driver I have was the intel v2.1.28. But then as I stated above that after I upgraded the firmware version the issue is solved and I am quite happy with that.