Thread: Intel DG35EC + Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor giving trouble with high temperature and CPU fan

Intel DG35EC + Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor giving trouble with high temperature and CPU fan

I purchased PC with Intel DG35EC motherboard and Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor 3 months back. After a couple of days after purchase, I noticed that after I used some software that is heavy and requires lots of resources over heats my system. I was playing Saints Row the Third which is a game that requires high end system would heat my system. I contacted that Intel and asked about the overheating. They relied saying that I shouldn’t care about it until it shutdown my system or caused problems in working of some function. Following their advice, I ignored the heating. But now when I was playing Mass Effect 3 my system just crashed. I fist thought it was some bug in the game. But after some research I found that this is caused due to overheating of system. The temperature reaches, as high as 100 degree Celsius and CPU fan’s speed reaches speed of 1448 RPM. Does anyone know how I can control it or solve the problem?

Re: Intel DG35EC + Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor giving trouble with high temperature and CPU fan

Have you checked if the HSF stock cooler that comes with Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 is properly connected to the CPU. Many times it is not connected from the time of manufacture or sometimes is loose connected. This can be one of the causes for overheating of your system. If it is disconnected, don’t just connect it straightaway. Considering the fact that you system is 3 months old, chances of dust being accumulated in the switches and sockets is high. You need to clean them before connecting them. Use a good thermal paste to clean it. I use Coolmaster Thermal Fusion 400 in my system and till date it hasn’t given me a reason to complain. This should run your system at temperature of 60 to 70 degree Celsius at high stress level.

Re: Intel DG35EC + Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor giving trouble with high temperature and CPU fan

Your system might be suffering from case of dysfunctional heat sensors. In my case, my system was showing the signs o overheating but m system was never affected. I opened my system and touched the heatsink. It wasn’t hot as the temperature in my system suggested. On contacting the technician, e said that the heat sensors were faulty and displaying wrong temperature. Also make sure if you CPU fan is running at full 100%. Many times CPU fan‘s speed gets reduced due to accumulated dust in its internals and rotors. Another cause of improper working of CPU fan is inconsistent power supply. Check the condition of CPU fan using HWMonitor.

Have you checked if the motherboard and the processor are compatible with each other. Many times compatibility can also raise the issue of overheating on inconsistency in working of internal peripherals of a computer. From the names you have mentioned, you have an Intel’s motherboard series 3. Check if BIOS version 0107 is available for your motherboard. This version of BIOS provides options for controlling temperature, fan speed and troubleshooting of these problems. Also try cleaning the dust and other unwanted things from your system. This can also be disturbing the airflow in your system. From m experience, improper cleanliness of the system also generates man complications in working of the system.

Did you check if the circuits have an oil patches or grease patches on them. Oil and grease absorb the heat and must be causing the heat sensors to detect unwanted heat.

I have worked on Intel DG35EC motherboard in past and I know how much efficient it is and its issues related to temperature. I haven’t noticed any overheating during my use. When any heavy task was assigned to system, the temperature would b higher than the normal, but I never experienced any overheating issue. The CPU that fan you are using gives you around 1400 RPM. But according to me, for playing games like Saints Row the Third and Mass Effect 3, the minimum speed of an should be 1800 RPM. I know these games generate a good amount of heat in hardware. I suggest that you get a fan with speed around 2800 RPM for proper working of your system.

Have you checked your system with different PS. I suggest that you get a powerful PSU that your friend might have and try it in your system. Maybe you need a more powerful PSU that can supply ample amount of power to ever peripheral. This will stop the peripherals from exerting themselves to the last extent.

In my case, the systems were overheating because many software had accumulated in my system. I had installed many 3rd party applications in my PC. They were consuming unwanted resources. To add he stress, I used to play some heavy games on my system which will add more stress to the system. I needed to format my OS to get the system at proper heat levels. See if you have installed such 3rd party applications that are causing heat rise in your system. Remove them as most of them are not programmed to control the resource usage which leads them to consume limitless resources.

Check if your system is getting proper ventilation or not. Here should be a good airflow for heat to go out of the system and sop your system from overheating.