Thread: Predicting TDP and Turbo Boost of CPU

Predicting TDP and Turbo Boost of CPU

I was setting up i3-330M in a Jetway mITX board when I noticed that HWmonitor was predicting the TSP of the CPU. I don’t know how the software works and predicts, but id the predictions are accurate then I can turbo boost enabled on my CPU. The boosting process will work better for i7-640M by disabling HT if this is the case. By disabling the HT, the power consumption will increase by 35 watt on TDP. Does anyone know how to set the value of HT so that the boosting is also done and the power consumption remains in control? Is there any way to enable Intel’s CPU turbo boost constantly on so that the CPU reaches 3.46 GHz without having to give command every time?

Re: Predicting TDP and Turbo Boost of CPU

If you are under maximum TDP then, Imon current and temperature of your system will be at peak when Turbo boost will be enabled. This will obstruct the Turbo Boost function by prompting you to atop it as the temperature rises causing overheating of processor. So to keep the Turbo Boost engaged for long period of time, you will need to provide extra cooling facilities or keep the working time less. With turbo boost engaged, you can also make the processors work on heavy work. I used to keep my CAD renderings on while playing games. The processor will never disable the Turbo Boost even under such pressure. Turbo Boost is a function of processor and OS or GPU has nothing much to do with it. So you need not modify them to achieve Turbo Boost of the processor.

In Windows 7, the Turbo Boost function of Intel’s processor will work only if the OS is requesting the P0 state. The turbo boost function is best used in a laptop than in the desktop PC. Turbo Boost can’t be achieved in any CPU if you try to keep the TDP in the recommended boundaries. The TDP has to slightly less than Maximum. At this point the processor will become unstable and you might experience problems like unpredictable reboots. When you put your processor under pressure, the frequency will rise and the overall TDP will start rising.

You can turbo using Sandy Bridge processors. They are best when it comes to do a Turbo Boost. In the Sandy Bridge processors, for doing Turbo Boost you don’t need to override some code in operating system. It automatically tells you the amount of resources it is consuming and how much more resources it will need. It will also show the amount of time it is working and when it needs to close down. The control that you get for Turbo Boost is very good. The controls for Turbo Boost in these processors are directly given to the user in the OS instead of one needing to enter the BIOS settings to see the hardware details. The process remains invisible to the user. It only prompts when necessary.

In my experience, disabling the hyper threading gives back 5C when Turbo boosting is done under heavy load. This means that you will be working on low TSP which is good for health of the processor. In Sandy Bridge processors, the temperature will be maintained better than this.

I still don’t understand, what is the point of manually switching the CPU frequencies while doing the Turbo Boost on it? I mean who wants to overclock the CPU using its base clock frequency. Some people also use base multiplier to increase the frequency at which the CPU operates. The demands of the CPU are ignored in this process leading to reduction of life of the CPU. The i7 processors are combined with the micro processors, the graphic processors and memory controllers to form one TDP spec. When the CPU is operating on this TDP spec, it will be thermally safe on maximum TDP.

If we get the control of send in the processor in the P0 state using a Windows OS, then you can get access to the controllers of thermal constraints of the processor and the GPU. Using it you can decide when to initialize or stop the cooling of the processor. So reaching the maximum frequency for the Turbo Boost needs one to maintain the entire processor at maximum TDP.