Thread: Intel X79 chipset Sata Raid Controller Performance

Intel X79 chipset Sata Raid Controller Performance

I want to run a benchmark test for Intel X79 chipset Sata Raid controller. I am going to set a SSD drive on it which will be responsible for regular data backup. Last time because of regular drives I had faced high latency errors. This can spoiled my entire backup process. The process is going to run a number of time 24x7. So it is a kind of prime requirement for me to understand and run a test that can tell me what output can I get on the controller. About the drives I can try some other tools and as the specification says they good. The new Intel X79 chipset features Intel storage controller. This additions allows the hardware and software to co-ordination smoothly for various purpose. This was not found in older version. So this can be a kind of good news. This time I am going to test stuff a number of time and then configure what I needed. Thanks for any advice on the same.

Re: Intel X79 chipset Sata Raid Controller Performance

Sata Raid controller are optimum choice when you need more drive support or when you are planing to give a dedicated backup solution. Now there are many raid cards that you can try out. All of them offer you similar specs. High latency generates from the motherboard side. So to some extent the card is not really responsible, but a updated firmware can remove this issue. Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise manager offer you to configure sata drives on your system. You can have a GUI based interface on Intel X79 chipset. I had gone through certain test that are performed for the same process. There are really a disappointment in the output received. I had noticed that SSD attached on a raid controller card does not give better read and write speed. This can be limitation of card interface. So that remove that a updated firmware can be only solution. Or else there is nothing much you can do.

A good sata raid controller card is good or entry-level servers and high-performance workstations using RAID-based disk arrays with SATA-interface. A low on performance can be due to the limitation of motherboard. Check your bios settings.

I do not think that the gui really matters here. The disk manager does not provide exact details that you can find in the bios configuration. In such a RAID-arrays of multi-channel SATA RAID-controllers with the number of channels from 4 to 12. These controllers are available as separate PCI-boards. Somehow due to different interface use the co-ordination between the hardware is not set which result in low on the performance. In my views I will go for a branded system which comes everything packed up. Not really messing around to add on different hardware and then fixing the pieces for low performance output. So first I will advice you the choose a four-channel controller that supports the most common levels of RAID-arrays. And then compare their performance.

Intel X79 chipset offer a better disk management. Connectivity is not really matters. 'What is affected is the latency which you are still facing and not able to notice. SSDs on Raid controller are yet to optimized for custom builds.

The new gui used for creating a raid disk in Intel X79 chipset can help you more if you go in more detailed settings. Here I am mentioning my setup. To create a raid volume first choose a controller. Then choose the volume type. I had ticked on Optimized disk Performance. Then go to configure volume choose the disk arrays. Do not forget to tick with proceed with deleting data and go in advance. One the volume is generated you can set the disk data cache as on or off depends on your choice. Anyhow this is not going put any effect on the benchmarks. By enabling data cache you can speed up the data access in your system.

It is a bit difficult to make a choice for the correct raid controller. You can try with number of cards or try to read a number of benchmark reports on web before choosing the right one.