Thread: What are the limitations of AM3+ 8xx series chipset

What are the limitations of AM3+ 8xx series chipset

I am looking forward to add AM3+ board (and DDR3 RAM). This would be very helpful to get more friendly BIOS for my 1090T and after that I can overclock it slightly and adding a low TDP Piledriver in the near future. While looking at the detailed information about these boards, I came to know that the "black socket" 8xx chipsets are almost similar to the 9xx chipsets. Some features lacking in 8xx chipsets makes the main difference between 2. I want to buy the Asrock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 but if I spend more I can get the Asrock 970 Extreme3. I don’t know what the major difference between those 2 mobos and I didn’t see a single comparative review describing somewhere over there. The only difference I can see now is about the power gating. Is that it?

Re: What are the limitations of AM3+ 8xx series chipset

As far as I know that the power gating has nothing to do more with differentiation and it is also not the feature of this chipset. But feature of the VRM and socket, in 900 series chipsets are same silicon as the 800 series. But I think that VRD specifications are very different here. AM3+800 series chipset motherboards can Bulldozer/Piledriver processors just like 900 series AM3+ boards.

The first difference is the chipset 870 vs 970 is something like this. The 970 brings the best audio chip 8 vs 7.1. I see the 970 Sata III says the 870 but I do not see it. But roughly the advantage in having a more modern chip is the lowest power consumption, better performance and better overclocking without obvious bulldozer compatibility.

The differences are the chipsets (870 v / s 970), the maximum capacity of RAM is different (16GB v / s 32Gb), native support for speed of the memories also varies (1333Mhz v / s 1866MHz) and the integrated Realtek audio chip differs from model but both are 7.1-channel (ALC889 v / s ALC892). Other features are practically the same (sata 3, USB 3.0, etc). The power consumption of the chipset is almost even, 13 watts for the 870 and 13.6 watts for the 970. The new chipsets 9 Series offer support for all future AM3 + not so motherboards AM3 + chipset series 8xx that due to limitations of these chipsets will be able to withstand the first generation of processors AM3 + and not all future processors that platform, that's the big difference. So if you buy a motherboard that is an AM3 + native support (with standard 9 chipsets) such as the MSI board you provided.

The answers given here is enough to give you an option when buying, for example, I'm already sure and buy the AM3 + Asus Crosshair Formula V motherboard with the 990FX to assure compatibility with all Am3 + processors that are out and those to come forward.

Side AM3+, AMD currently offers three chipsets that differ only at the management level graphics cards:
    • 990FX: 2x16 or 4x8
    • 990x: 1x16 or 2x8
    • 970: 1x16

It is generally 8xx series chipsets known, but they are only used on motherboards AM3 + History of trying to clarify a complex situation. AMD has this side of an advantage over the supply base as the Intel LGA 1155 is equivalent to 990x and that we should move on LGA 1366 (and 2011) to have two x16 ports. The advantage is certainly lightweight X CrossFire / SLI, between 2 and 5% when power is limited by the graphics, but this. For the southbridge, the SB950 found that integrates 6 Serial ATA ports including 6 Gb / s.

Combine bulldozers and AM3, you may need to take some not insignificant disadvantages. After consultation with manufacturers and AMD is the current status as follows: The bulldozer is mechanically compatible with current AM3 boards with 8 or 9-chipset. However, the high-end version will need more in the peak current; the voltage converter must be prepared for it. On the other hand, offers the bulldozer special power-saving features such as clock gating and fast twitch VID, these are just the black socket AM3 + possible - statements about Turbo Core 2.0).

As far as I know that AMD Am3 next-generation CPU named "Bulldozer" for the base run on Am3 + (but with "restrictions", which always). The problem is, yet we know only about the comparison of 2 chipsets (8xx v / s 9xx). The limitations of these chipsets are not revealed yet.