Thread: System crashes with new AMD fx 8120 cpu

System crashes with new AMD fx 8120 cpu

I have recently added Msi 990XA-GD55 and AMD FX-8120 in my system and I my system has the below specs:
    • Motherboard: Msi 990XA-GD55
    • Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce gts 450
    • CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core
    • RAM: Crucial, 2 sticks of 4GB per stick, DDR3 1600 mhz

The problem that I am facing is that when I am running the systems for 30 minute then I suddenly get a blue screen, after trying out a no of troubleshooting I have found there is something wrong with the cpu, I mean that when I am using my older cpu then things are working fine and when I am putting back the new cpu then in am getting the same response, is there anything I can do about the same or the cpu is just faulty.

Re: System crashes with new AMD fx 8120 cpu

I am not very sure if it is just the cpu in your case but then I was facing similar crash issue after making few changes in the build but then later I just turned it off and then had reset the cmos and after that I was not having any such issues, I have asked about the same to others and I have found them saying that we should rest the cmos after major hardware change and even when one reinstall the operating system and face such issues, so just try it out and then let me know if it is getting solved or not.

By now I have tried out the following things but then they have not helped:
    • I have tried using other graphic cards
    • Other older ram
    • I have tried using other hard drives as well as resetting the bios

No matter what they have not made any difference and that is the thing that is making me think that the new cpu is the culprit but then I am not that sure about the same as it is very new.

As i don’t know what bios setting you might be having, if it is "Auto" bios settings then there are possibilities that it might have not assigned correct frequencies or voltages, so I will suggest you to better download and install CPU-z and the just post back the screenshots of memory tab, just post the screen shot here so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing, the other thing I wanted to say is that before doing the same just go in to Power Options for eco to "High Power" and make sure that you are disabling Cool N Quiet, C1E as well as the so that the CPU-z report distorted frequencies along with the voltages.

Here is it:

Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

I have checked it out and I see that at the CPU-z memory tab the bios overclocking genie is underclocking your, as far as I know it should do 1333 mhz in DDR3 terms, so here you are losing memory performance, I think that you are having a bad ram module, if you want to recheck then just Download and install the freeware program called "memtest86+". After you get the same then just follow the below steps:
    • First install it to a self-booting CD
    • After that just change the fequency and voltage settings to stock
    • When you are done with the same then just insert the memtest86+ CD and the reboot the machine, just make sure that you are changing the boot order as well.
    • Let the program running the same for some hours and then check out if you find any errors there.

Just try it out and then post back the result that you get for it.