Thread: PC with MSI 870A-G46 does not boot up

PC with MSI 870A-G46 does not boot up

I assume that currently MSI 870A-G46 is the latest one on the market. I have bought it along with a compatible CPU and memory. I put all of them together and turned it on. The result was very disappointing. The system not at all booted and nothing appeared on the screen. The computer turns on and led glows but no beep and no display. My configuration is as follows:
    • AMD Athlon II, 3.2 GHz (
    • MSI 870A-G46 mobo
    • Pareema, DDR3, 2GB x2
    • Radeon 4830 512mb
    • WD 620GB
    • Windows 7 Ultimate
    • 700w Power Supply
    • Acer V223W 21" LCD

Here only few components are new and others are taken from my old computer.

Re: PC with MSI 870A-G46 does not boot up

It looks like you are having problem with improper connection. So first of all check whether all power connectors are properly connected to the respective places or not like motherboard, PSU, graphics card, heatsink, fans etc.

• 24 Pin ATX (motherboard)
    • 4/8 Pin +12V CPU power (motherboard)
    • 6/8-Pin +12V PCI-E power (video card)

Also try to run with only one memory module at a time. Reply me back with your results as soon as possible.

I had the same kind of problem with the same motherboard but I wasn’t worried much about that. It is a usual problem with new builds and the main cause is either due to incompatibility or wrong configuration. Perhaps there are times a reasonable explanation / firmware upgrade / bios / update or whatever brings back system to normal level and boot up again.

Where did you get the PSU?

Did the PSU came along with the case?

You didn’t mention the model and manufacturer name of the PSU?

Did you try using a different PSU?

Can you see 8-Pin (2x4 Pins) 12V connector near the CPU socket?

I don’t know whether it is the issue of the PSU but I can barely assume this cause by seeing your system specification. Whenever there is a booting problem, it is always my first suspicion. So it is always recommended to try with different PSU first.

It seems to me that I have found something regarding your processor. I don’t know how important is this but I am pretty sure that it can something do with your compatibility of the CPU and mobo. The list says that the Athlon II x3 is supported but when I match CPU code, here is what I got:
    • Supported CPU: ADX450WFK32GM
    • Code on the box of my CPU: ADX450WFGMBOX

this specific code on my box is not listed on the support page.

My problem is weird, my pc works, but at times, pc hangs and the screen goes to sleep it away! When I try to reboot the pc turns on but does not beep. And of course, also the screen remains in standby! A force reboot, I can get this beep, the screen lights up, but gets stuck on the first page display! Still with the same fury, I get to finally restart my pc! But every time I try to restart, the problem reappears! What to do, or come to the problem! I tried several manipulations:
    • Change my RAM sticks and their locations => no result
    • Remove the CMOS battery and put it back, change the CMOS battery => no result
    • Disconnect all my hard drives => no result
    • Putting a new graphics card => no result

I think that it is a case of a bug of its kind and according to your explanations it is best to reset CMOS. You can do it by swapping a jumper or by connecting two small solder near the lithium battery on the motherboard. If you have the documentation for your motherboard, you can refer that also.

I called up the compute repair man. He first removed all the components from the system and re-configured it again one by one. But he changed the PSU with new one. Now computer boots up and problem solved.