Thread: PC using MSI 890FXA-GD65 Freezing on cold boot

PC using MSI 890FXA-GD65 Freezing on cold boot

I have configured a new system using MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard. The system works fine on every moment but it only gives problem during the cold boot. When the start the pc from the cold, it freezes. I hope that you know what the cold boot is. The freezes happen at 3 points mainly. During windows 7 64bit load, splash screen or blue Windows screen start up. I tried with different PSU, CPU, and RAM also. Temps are fine. Even having latest BIOS. Drivers are up-to-date. What do you suggest now?
    System configuration is:
    • 2 x 2GB crucial RAM
    • 800 Watt psu
    • ATI radeon HD 6450
    • MSI 890fxa-GD65
    • AMD quad core 3.0GHZ
    • WD 1Tb sata 3 HDD

Re: PC using MSI 890FXA-GD65 Freezing on cold boot

So far you have tried most of the things which needs to be done in this situation and I don’t think that there is anything left for you to suggest it. So I can assume only thing and that is about major hardware manufacturing defect. It is with your motherboard only because so far you have tried different components over, even the CPU I think. So it is probably the faulty chipset. Better send it for RMA now.

You are saying that freezing usually happens at those 2 mentioned point during the Windows 7 64bit boot process. So make sure that you have made a than perfect Windows installation. You might need to run repair utility using Windows 7 CD or re-install everything from the scratch. It is always a better option to start with new Windows installation and formatted HDD in order to avoid these kinds of issues.

I think that you have to disable C-states not all. C-states C2 to provide sufficient rule. The BIOS settings in the C2 Green Power menu only the absolute (C3/C6/C7) setting which can eliminated, leading mostly to the freeze problems. It is a sensitive dependence on the CPU, the low-IDLE VCore + Tiefschlafmodi acknowledged with freezes. The behavior of some Sandy CPUs can be compared with an engine that goes from simple to start-up problems, because the "Starting Fuel Adjustment" (C-States No Limit + little IDLE VCore) is not enough, as one who always with 800U / min (C-states C2 or even C-states disabled) turn up from idle to full throttle smoothly is loose (without leaving).

I was hoping that the problem could be solved with any other voltages on RAM and / or BIOS update. The current latest release is UEFI v1.10b6. As far as overview of general user feedback on this version, we have similar problem with other MS-7673 boards in the IDLE voltage a bit, so that C-state stability related problems are also compensated for now. However if it is all about the onboard Graphics chip and PCIe lanes, then I'll probably have to get a new board! The novelty should definitely be compatible with the first bulldozers and have at least 2 PCIEX16 interfaces that can run at x16 x16 mode.