Thread: MSI A75A-G55 with Windows 7 64bit does not recognize 8GB RAM fully

MSI A75A-G55 with Windows 7 64bit does not recognize 8GB RAM fully

Some days ago I have bought a new system with following configuration:
    • MSI A75A-G55 motherboard
    • 2x4GB GSkill 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 DDR3 RAM
    • AMD A8-3870 processor.

The system works fine and stable. But the control panel>system says that I have 8GB RAM installed and you can use only 3,47GB. After seeing this message I went into BIOS setting to reduce the memory size allocated for system or any other components, maybe. I couldn’t find any. Now I am looking for a way to fix this problem as soon as possible. What should I do now?

Re: MSI A75A-G55 with Windows 7 64bit does not recognize 8GB RAM fully

Once I had the same kind of problem with my A75MA-G55 motherboard. First I tried the BIOS update but it didn’t help. So next time I tried to install the 2 DIMMs in single channel mode and now the recognized 8GB in full in BIOS (but here the memory is not running in full capacity of the dual channel). If I put the RAM modules in dual channel, the BIOS can recognize both DIMMs but not the amount of memory. It only recognizing half of the RAM. So I think that it the problem with every RAM brand.

I had the same RAM module and I didn’t see this problem. I tried with another pc also and there it was showing full when both DIMMs installed. I think that it is the motherboard issue. If you can confirm this, send the board for RMA. It is really pointless to go for single channel even if it showing total RAM memory seeing that negative effect arises with GPU. Otherwise you should try in single channel, one DIMM in black as well as other one in blue socket. See what happens.

Before buying, you always have to ask the manufacturer of the memory if it's tested with compatible CPU. Most >1333 memory kits/modules are not JEDEC 1600 but overclocked 1333's. These kits will fail on newer AMD CPU's. You can check it with CPU-z for JEDEC 1600 profile.

I've played a bit and I made believe the MSI with the memory banks has something wrong. The benches are numbered 1-4.
    • DIMM1 is black
    • DIMM2 is blue
    • DIMM3 is black
    • DIMM4 is blue

Normal is 2 +4 DC, but unfortunately it is not already the order. I have plugged in all the banks only a module...
    • DIMM1 identified as 1 - boot possible
    • DIMM2 identified as 3 - boot possible
    • DIMM3 identified as 2 - booting is not possible, only beep
    • DIMM4 identified as 4 - boot possible

Nevertheless, no matter where I have two modules at a time, DC is not possible.

The "real" dual-channel RAM support perfectly in 128bit instead of 64bit. This is right after the switch already, check it against each time but with CPU-Z. I've never had problems with MSI, but I do not even knew, it was formerly sometimes a switch in the BIOS where it selectively turning on and off, but could not get updated very often in the UEFI probably.

The Intel platform is the most widespread, and then I do not really think that you may declare that some modules are incompatible with Intel. it may happen that there is an incompatibility between a given module and some motherboard model, but not at the platform: "This module is compatible with Intel" has never told anyone and nobody will declare. Intel platforms are the first to be tested by the manufacturers of RAM, so do not worry. Most of or may be all the modules that are in the market are fully compatible. If you want to be sure you are getting indicates that ram, but reference the model and not putting links to stores.