Thread: JMicron controller and USB devices heat up on MSI 890FXA-GD70

JMicron controller and USB devices heat up on MSI 890FXA-GD70

I need answers to my problem here. The first problem is, JMicron controller temperature is very high (ATA100 HDD WDC). The second problem is USB storage devices temperature is very high. I have overclocked the processor and I managed to get good results (CPUz @ 3900 MHz FSB @ 296MHz). So I can assume that my motherboard working fine and responds are requested. The first problem seems like something due to overclocking but there is no reason I can find for the second issue. My system configuration is as follows:
    • AMD Sempron 140
    • MSI 890FXA-GD70, latest BIOS (v1.13)
    • ADATA 1600G 4GB @ 1333MHz
    • WDC 80GB
    • Asus 2400 Pro GPU
    • Codegen 400W PSU.

Re: JMicron controller and USB devices heat up on MSI 890FXA-GD70

I have seen that jmicron controller or JMB363 chip does run hot typically 20C without any drive connected to it and around 85C when a drive connected to either PATA or ESATA connections. I hope that you got your answer now. It is really annoying sometimes. You should stick-on heatsink for it in order to keep the temps around 40C. But without real temperature readings I can’t say whether it is accurate or something wrong. I assume that you are seeing the temps only in BIOS. You should check with other Windows tools also. Then compare.

I got JMicron chipset temp above 60c and USB flash temperature around 45c. So it looks like it is quite warm. I don’t both if it is just a warm feel but it is actually making a burning sensation when I put a finger over it. The JMicron chipset is fine. When I try the USB devices in different configurations, I have noticed indistinguishable temps and sometimes normal. But only on my motherboard it sense like the temps are very high.

I assume that the 60c on your Jmicron chip when the HDD is connected is pretty normal for the JMB363 chip and also for your motherboard. The reason for high temperature is due to the constant flow data. It is true that 85c isn't uncommon in this situation and not even for any motherboard. On the other hand the heating of the USB devices seems very odd. Most USB devices build up to have fairly low heat.

I don’t think that the temps are really bad. However it is not normal for the USB devices since they do not have any cooler or heatsinker built inside it. I assume that the device is connected for a long time and constantly reading/writing to them. I have noticed normal operating temperatures that they can withstand. It is really puzzling me now.

As far as I know that the only electric devices can warm up is due to the power(Voltage x amperage). If there is a high voltage supplying to the device, then there could be gradual increment in temperature.

I think that you can check it with the eSATA HDD but it is a more complicated case. But for some it seems to work. But I also know of other cases like mine. Do not mean cheap HDD with temperature display, Fanspeed display and other knick-knacks on the computer are idle. Probably one would have to buy it without ads, but with a functioning eSATA. Even 3x exchange brought nothing except postage. The chip in the box by JMicron ... Firewire and USB2 go though too slow to me. But eSATA is throttled - I guess around your 80 MB / s if I remember correctly.

Normally, it should not be overheated to the point of breakage. Two factors to consider: the connection unit and design of the key, which will dissipate heat more or less. The ultra compact heat much more than "big" flash drives. The first factor is the design of heating, I compared an ultra compact and a key older, with a good old plastic shell is hideous, but wide, it is clear: the compact heater.