Thread: CPU temperature increases when i enter into MSI 970A-G45 BIOS

CPU temperature increases when i enter into MSI 970A-G45 BIOS

My system is configured with MSI 970a-g45 motherboard. Everything is fine and working as normal. Only problem is about the CPU temperature now. When I get into the BIOS settings, the CPU temps automatically increase from 35C to almost 70C. This is really weird. Sometimes if boot in windows and looked into the windows desktop, the HW Monitor shows 255 core temps. What could be the problem?

Re: CPU temperature increases when i enter into MSI 970A-G45 BIOS

It seems to me that you have applied too much thermal paste while configuring the CPU over the motherboard. Otherwise I can assume that the CPU cooler or heatsink is not seated properly. It is pretty sure that the 255 false reading. If the reading were true, the motherboards would be smoking and burning as also the CPU. I am not considering values into F. The actual thing is poor mounting of the CPU cooler otherwise a broken heat-spreader can cause this kind of issue but there is no guarantee about that. Check once.

As far as I know that the 255 is a limit of the program and it will not exceed more than it. So it obviously look like there is a problem with your monitoring tool or simply a bug. There is no way the temp increase rapidly, not even during overclocking. Either the BIOS/HW monitor is defective or the motherboard itself.

As the core temperature can tell you the temperature, the BIOS happens to me like me, when I see the processor pub 45 and 50 but when I start windows or Linux processor is maintained between 30 and 35 with overclocking to 4Ghz (for BIOS)

In the end, doing the various tests I realized that the real value of the temperature of the cpu is reported and shown by only 3 tools:
    • HWMonitor ---> tempin0 is the temperature of the CPU
    • SpeedFan ---> temp1 is the temperature of the CPU
    • Control center ---> CPU is already written.
    • Core Temp ---> CPU # 0, it seems some other parameter.

When I stop the bench, the only values to fall dramatically are those of SpeedFan, HWMonitor and control center. Those core temps will go down but not significantly. Anyway at this point I do not understand what you refer to "CPU # 0" shown in Core Temp, which is then displayed in other tools if you look. To control temperature of the cpu I set SpeedFan which increases or decreases the RPM under cpu load. Only way is to understand how to save a definitive parameters. On reboot it should reset them.

Quote Originally Posted by The#Gaelic View Post
    My system is configured with MSI 970a-g45 motherboard. Everything is fine and working as normal. Only problem is about the CPU temperature now. When I get into the BIOS settings, the CPU temps automatically increase from 35C to almost 70C. This is really weird. Sometimes if boot in windows and looked into the windows desktop, the HW Monitor shows 255 core temps. What could be the problem?
    There is a main reason behind your issue. Whenever you enter into the BIOS, the CPU cannot enter low-power idle mode. This mode is only engaged after the complete boot into Windows. So the temps gradually increase the longer you are in BIOS. If the CPU is working at stocks speed, then it will automatically level off with the the stock cooler but if you have overclocked the CPU, then it will not level off the temps. In this situation the temps increases and system shuts down. Sometimes it may also cause system failure. So do not ever overclock using the stock cooler. The issue is not only about the MSI board but happens with others also.

255 C is an error, use another program or in the BIOS to see if the temperatures are OK at idle. It can also be read with CPU-z that is choked or not. The graphics card can be monitor with MSI Afterburner, there can be comfortably beating, read the temperature and FP. it is also suitable for absolute beginners.

No CPU in the world would survive 255 degrees. Unless I'm mistaken, most of the boards PC switch from just a little over 100 C. Since the sensor is probably broken and if so it will clocks down your CPU, and will eventually shut down the PC. The motherboard calculates the components temperatures using the unique sensors attached to it. If they were broken or damaged, then obviously any program or BIOS output wrong readings.