Thread: Installing AMD FX-4170 on MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard

Installing AMD FX-4170 on MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard

Recently I have configured the AMD FX-4170 on MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard. The computer boots fine and all fans are running. Power LEDs glowing. But there is no signal on the monitor. Also there is no way I can get into BIOS. Keyboard and mouse also not working. I tried to boot with 2 different graphics card and even with onboard one but nothing changed. I then installed the old Phenom processor. I am sure that I have the latest BIOS. I am really screwed now.

Re: Installing AMD FX-4170 on MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard

Did you try reseating your graphics card and go through each and every one power connectors?

I think that you should check you system with another PSU with sufficient amps on the 12V rail. If you have changed the CPU recently, then you should also change the memory controller which is compatible to the new processor. The FX4000 yields similar to other dual-core processors. If you replace your motherboard and cpu might be a good time to switch to Intel, although you'll use the question is because you have to change.

Did you try clearing the CMOS?

Many times memory controller accepts 4 memories and really accepts 4 sides. The one you have Double Sided, is said to have memories of both sides in each module and which adds 8 sides. While the MSI official site says that accepts, this may well be the reason. Beyond this anecdote annoying, it is trying various settings in your BIOS and perhaps some combination is adequate to take full advantage of those 8 Gbs. It could also be like someone else had your problem had been solved and which one would expect their help. Finally, test each and every one of your reports individually and in different sockets in order to rule out any problems with them.

You can get the maximum performance by FX! AMD is the best in price / performance, Intel makes me more a luxury and a little exaggerated to use for movies, internet and games ... The FX comes to you more than perfect, and are not all bad, AMD simply made them much publicity, but I know several people who have a FX-4100 or 6100 are more than happy with the performance. In your case I think that only an incompatibility (either memory or CPU).

What was the K9?

It seems to me that CPU and memory controller is not installed properly and memory clock is not coupled to the CPU clock, but is derived by dividing the system clock.

What does the divider in the BIOS to select FSB / DRAM ratio?

I think that your PSU does not seem to be very good otherwise you might be using a cheap memory. Did you try other memory? If you are using a good memory, then try following things:
    • set DRAM Frequency to 1066 MHz
    • CPU-NB Voltage from 1.2 to 1.35 volts
    • DRAM Voltage to 1,5-1.65 volts
    • spread spectrum to Disabled
    • Timings to 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-27
    • 1T/2T Command Timing to 2T
    • Unganged Mode to Enabled

I think that it is the problem with the motherboard itself but I am not sure about it. Many people reporting that the MSI motherboards have a higher failure rate with AMD CPUs with high TDP due to their poor VRM.

I had the same problem with my AMD system when I have installed the AMD FX-4170 on the MSI motherboard. The motherboard was compatible with processor but when I try to do the BIOS update, I have noticed that the BIOS processor was damaged. For that reason I have tried to find a new chip but due to this old model motherboard, I couldn’t able to find an exact BIOS chip for that. Now I think it is useless. Anyway I will try to get it work in repair shop if I have any luck.