Thread: HDD's disappearing from ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 BIOS

HDD's disappearing from ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 BIOS

Hello friends, I am having the P8Z68-V/GEN3 and getting the problem with it. Whenever I am trying to boot then one drive is been disappears from the bios. During each boot Seagate data drive ST3160023AS will was disappear from the bios. It does not care that on which port it’s there is it on out of 3, 4, 5 or 6. Whereas my Western Digital drive is fine majority of time only once it has disappears till now. I have swap the raid array onto SATA 6G ports with two data drives on 5 and 6 ports and both of it are repeatedly recognized on the SATA 6G ports but one raid array drive was always disappearing on any of the 4 SATA 3G ports, I think that it is the problem or it is a SATA controller problem? Below is list of HDD I am using, so please help me. Thank you.
    • Two 120G Seagate drives in a raid on the SATA6G ports. Model numbers are ST312827AS and ST3120026AS
    • Two DVD drives on ports 3 and 4.
    • Two data drives on ports 5 and 6 model numbers WD1600JS-55MHBO and ST3160023AS.

Re: HDD's disappearing from ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 BIOS

I wanted to ask you that have to tried the 10.8 driver version on the board or not, if you have not tried then you better try it, it might help you to solve the problem, just go to below link and get it,

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Quote Originally Posted by jamiejohn View Post
    I wanted to ask you that have to tried the 10.8 driver version on the board or not, if you have not tried then you better try it, it might help you to solve the problem, just go to below link and get it,

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
    I have forgotten to say that I am having all latest version of the Intel software’s. I do not think that software in windows will be the matter with the drives seen in the bios or not? This is not to be a software problem I believe that it is a hardware problem. I have got the motherboard from newegg.com and RMA with them, so will be getting a new board by month end. Before that I am transferring the file transfers between the two data drives, but both of them are disappear from windows during the transfer. If you suggest changing cable then I have changed out about a half dozen cables and also swapped the drives around to different ports.

I have raided 2 drives then the first has metadata at start. When you change to AHCI bios then you cannot see it. Need to secure erase if SSD or use Booted CD freeware Killdisk freedos zero fill application on a spin for 5% wipe to get rid of RAID. You need to have to do In RAID a "reset as non RAID". Well the disappearing drives means that the boot is searching for other boot drives/controllers during a fast boot up. You should use one DVD on Marvel port, load drivers and keep current so that you need to have looked at oprom screen.

Quote Originally Posted by sushantbankar View Post
    I have raided 2 drives then the first has metadata at start. When you change to AHCI bios then you cannot see it. Need to secure erase if SSD or use Booted CD freeware Killdisk freedos zero fill application on a spin for 5% wipe to get rid of RAID. You need to have to do In RAID a "reset as non RAID". Well the disappearing drives means that the boot is searching for other boot drives/controllers during a fast boot up. You should use one DVD on Marvel port, load drivers and keep current so that you need to have looked at oprom screen.
    It will not work, where the P8-Z68-V/GEN3 is having the intel SATA and JMicron ESATA on it, there is no Marvell SATA, according to the manual it is there. Drives which were there in raid are been wiped clean which also contain the all the metadata, will try to work what you have suggested.

I would suggest that you better use one LG 22X, which really works well in it, on the Intel port #6, no hot plug with it, just unplugged it for a while you sort things out and also disable JMicron/Bluetooth in the Bios.