Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    60

    Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD?

    Hello friends, I am having the Asus P5Q pro motherboard and was planning to have 3 TB hard drive for the system, so before going for that just wanted to confirm that Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD or not, if I try for the bigger one then also it will support or not? Please tell me, so that I can purchase a hard drive for me and installed onto the system. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    473

    Re: Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD?

    If you wanted to use it then it is supported but let me tell you that is been used non-boot drive with some of the operating system, just go to below link where Hitachi have told about it and also you will be able to get the appropriate information about it, just read it.

    High Capacity (≥2.2TB) Technology Brief

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    60

    Re: Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD?

    Quote Originally Posted by Himalayan View Post
    If you wanted to use it then it is supported but let me tell you that is been used non-boot drive with some of the operating system, just go to below link where Hitachi have told about it and also you will be able to get the appropriate information about it, just read it.

    High Capacity (≥2.2TB) Technology Brief
    I am having some more question can you please advise me about it, I wanted to know that the Asus P5Q pro bios is able to detect 3 TB SATA HDD and also there is need to have the ASUS disk unlocker in Windows 7 so that I can access free space bigger than 2 TB and one more thing which I will like to know is that can I will be able to format 3 TB hard disk as a single drive in Windows 7? Please tell me about it, thank you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    417

    Re: Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD?

    Well the 3 TB boot disk need to have UEFI BIOS. The UEFI BIOS are been replaced with the PC BIOS and the P5Q Pro motherboard is not having the UEFI BIOS. For the data disk then the drive should be GPT format. Where the Intel ICH10R uses the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver version 10.1 or higher than that for the single drives and it uses the version 10.5 or higher for RAID multi-drives that it can detect 3 TB drive. Where the Intel RST is been replaced with the Intel Matrix Storage Technology. Where the Asus Disk Unlocker seems to run in Windows and it is not be used to install Windows. Where the latest RST driver versions is been working very well with 3TB drive, there is no need to use Asus Disk Unlocker at present time. You can format 3 TB hard disk with the help of Disk Management.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    471

    Re: Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD?

    I have also founded that the p5q pro does not work with Intel Rapid Storage Technology, if you wanted to try then need to have the Intel Matrix Storage Technology; it is because the Intel Rapid Storage Technology do not work with the Drive Expert. I am having doubt that you can still use the 3 TB hard disk as a data disk with Intel Matrix Storage Technology or not? Need to find out that it will work or not.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    351

    Re: Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD?

    Intel has change the name of Intel Matrix RAID to Intel Rapid Storage Technology in 2010 and then it has redesigned the graphical user interface of it so that it will be little simple to work. 2011 v10.1.0 was the first version which was supporting the single drives over 2.2 TB and the 2011 v10.5.0 was the first one which supports RAID arrays made of HDDs with over 2.2 TB. For more information let me tell you that the Drive Xpert technology is been controlled by Silicon Image Sil5723 chip but it does not control the Intel ICH10R and also you will be able to use the Asus Disk Unlocker with the P5Q PRO motherboard.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    60

    Re: Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD?

    Quote Originally Posted by Munishi3 View Post
    Intel has change the name of Intel Matrix RAID to Intel Rapid Storage Technology in 2010 and then it has redesigned the graphical user interface of it so that it will be little simple to work. 2011 v10.1.0 was the first version which was supporting the single drives over 2.2 TB and the 2011 v10.5.0 was the first one which supports RAID arrays made of HDDs with over 2.2 TB. For more information let me tell you that the Drive Xpert technology is been controlled by Silicon Image Sil5723 chip but it does not control the Intel ICH10R and also you will be able to use the Asus Disk Unlocker with the P5Q PRO motherboard.
    Now I am getting very much confuse with it and does not knowing that what should I do, can you please tell me that the P5Q Pro works with 3TB drive as data drive or not, as I am not going for boot drive, so if it working I will get it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    379

    Re: Does Asus P5Q pro support 3 TB SATA HDD?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nabhoj View Post
    Now I am getting very much confuse with it and does not knowing that what should I do, can you please tell me that the P5Q Pro works with 3TB drive as data drive or not, as I am not going for boot drive, so if it working I will get it.
    You can use the 3 TB data drive with your P5Q Pro board, it will work fine and also the Windows 7 be able to recognize the drive as 2.72 TB, there is no need to use Asus Disk Unlocker and from the disk management you will be able to select the partition type GPT and also able to format it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-03-2012, 01:18 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
  3. Will ASUS Eee PC 701SD 8G has support for SATA II SSD?
    By Egmont in forum Hardware Peripherals
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-07-2011, 11:24 PM
  4. EVGA P67 SLI support for SATA 3
    By Diellza in forum Motherboard Processor & RAM
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-01-2011, 06:06 AM
  5. DG31 PR support for 2TB SATA Internal HDD
    By sarathbala1984 in forum Motherboard Processor & RAM
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •