Thread: How to disable Secure Boot on Gigabyte X79 motherboards

How to disable Secure Boot on Gigabyte X79 motherboards

I want to get Gigabyte X79 Ultra durable motherboard. I am very much impressed by its features and functionality available. In this motherboard I want to install and run Linux. But I think that UEFI Secure Boot can cause problem here. I am not looking to install Windows 8. I just wanna use Linux. Does anyone running Linux over X79 boards? If so, how can I disable Secure boot?

Re: How to disable Secure Boot on Gigabyte X79 motherboards

Windows 8 with UEFI 2.3.1 addresses a security flaw inside the present version of BIOS which lets loader, or any malicious code for example rootkits or Trojan, boot into the operating system. However if the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface is enabled inside the BIOS, only allows verified OS loaders to start. So no malware can switch the boot loader and continue with OS.

As far as I know that there is no way you can disable Secure Boot in the BIOS settings. If you are using the gigabyte motherboard or any other manufacturer’s motherboard, you cannot disable this feature. GRUB is not certified since it is public readable. Same with other open source bootloader. So there is no such way you can use a free software bootloader and no workaround.

It looks like that Microsoft has made a decision to go with UEFI rather than BIOS. This is a decent security-minded step. Microsoft planning t ship all Windows 8 PCs implement the secure boot and this will included in most new UEFI specifications. It is really a good thing for Windows users because it is capable to stop malware conflicting with boot path and security programs.

However the problem is, this Microsoft secure boot keys will not allow you to launch any Linux distros.

I don’t think that it is the problem of hardware manufacturers like asus or gigabyte. I hope that somewhere or somehow they will have option to turn this thing off. The UEFI with bios supports a secure certificate service. This service verifies the OS boot files before the boot loaders load. So there is no way the rootkits can load before that. But I don’t think that it can avoid booting into Linux.