Thread: Does Quad channel cpus have lower bandwidth then triple channel cpus?

Does Quad channel cpus have lower bandwidth then triple channel cpus?

Hi, i was looking at the comparison chart given by the Intel on their official website and is really confused by their specifications. Comparison between i7-9xx and i7 processors shows that cpu with 4 memory channels have bandwidth of 21 GB/s whereas the CPU with 3 memory channel have 25.6 GB/s. The question that rises in my mind is what is the use of having 4 memory channels if you are getting low bandwidth with this specification ?

Re: Does Quad channel cpus have lower bandwidth then triple channel cpus?

Yes, this is because i7-9xx processors like i7-920 and i7-970 do not have embedded graphics controller in it and hence they don’t need any extra bandwidth with video controller. Whereas processors like i7-2600K and i7-3930K have graphics controller embedded in to them. So they need to share the total bandwidth with the graphics controller and video controller.

Even if it is listed that i7-2600K and i7-3930K have graphics controller, specification for i7-3930K doesn’t show the graphics specified in it. I play lot of games and also use high end applications like i have couple Oracle virtual machines for using several operating systems. I was thinking of upgrading to the 3930k since it has no graphics controller mentioned so thought it is better to be with my processor only. I would also like to know if there is another processor which can replace my processor? Will 3930k be able to handle my system?

If 3930k don’t have the graphics controller and the double memory controller then how come it has the same memory bandwidth like 2600k? having the faster RAM and double Bus width should not give same performance. It looks like memory bandwidth is restricted by internal buses between memory controllers and cache controllers. It looks like some sort of design problem . After looking at this one can ask if we put same RAM configuration on both boards will they give same memory performance or 3930k will show lower bandwidth.

It looks like some kind of marketing used by the manufacturer. If processors with Quad channels have lower bandwidth than the ones with triple channel, then only those processors will get succeeded in market who has the better bandwidth. They will also not get replaced by the 2nd generation processors i7s irrespective of triple or quad memory channel and they will be counted as same.